HC-110 dilution chart

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bobfowler, Feb 25, 2005.

1. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I put up a page on my web site that has a chart which shows how much syrup and water you need for HC-110 dilutions A through H, in quantities from 100ml to 1000ml working solution at 50ml intervals. The page also has links to other HC-110 resources (and APUG, of course!).

You can see it here.

2. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good information. thanks!

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good work! Thanks for sharing.

4. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice. I use HC-110 with some films although Rodinal is my main dev.
    May I copy/paste the chart into my darkroom notes? :smile:

Morten

5. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Morten, are you using original (US) syrup, or the "European" packaging?
    I got "European" packaging, which is already diluted - it says it is to be used at 1+19 ratio for developing...
    Got some nice results with it - for faster films (ASA 400) which do not work well with Rodinal :smile:

Denis

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the syrup concentrate.

About the use of faster films (ASA 400+) in Rodinal. It works VERY good. It is just a matter of taste. I use Tri-X @ 1600 in Rodinal with great results.

7. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Feel free to use it as you wish.

I should mention (and I will edit the page today), that this is for the U.S. version of the concentrate. I'll make a second chart for the Euro version and post it tonight.

8. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, I might mention that the chart formatting is seriously fowled up when viewed with Netscape 7.2. Perhaps you could put the information into an HTML table, so all browsers will show it correctly? Or if it is in a table, ensure that all the "end" marks are there -- Internet Explorer seemingly doesn't care about those, but Netscape is much closer to a "standards compliant" browser implementation and will give pretty bizarre results with stuff that works perfectly in IE (and vice versa, I might add: "Standards are what we say they are" -- Mythical Microsoft spokesman).

9. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    can you provide a version in Excel? Please...

10. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    speed in hc110

Does anyone else get a somewhat slow speed in hc110?

I recently tested dilution h hc110 (I assured enough solution so dev. exhaustion not a problem) with the new TMAX 100.

Measuring speed by .1 over film base plus fog, I have to rate TMAX 100 at around 25.

Don't know if anyone else seen this?

Also, HC110 is known for having a more "swept" shaped film curve, as opposed to more toe and shoulder. Does this have any adverse effects? I was thinking the toe and shoulder of devloping paper might be ill-matched for this kind of curve, but I have not done enough tests...

11. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure, I've just posted a new version of the page (with dilutions for the Euro version of HC-110 concentrate included), and added a link to the Excel file used to create the tables.

Donald - I don't have Netscape installed, but I had Dreamweaver "clean up" the HTML. Is it better now?

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Jeff,

Did you make a time adjustment for the weaker solution? H is 1:63 compared to B's 1:31.

Konical

13. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is great work. Am thinking of using hc110 when I start doing large format. Seems economical

14. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Yeah, I started off for 12 minutes in 68 degrees, which was a a little contrasty for "normal"- I should probably be using about 10 minutes for normal.

Here is my curve shot at e.i. 50. Looks like it still needs another stop of exposure:

http://www.hiddenworld.net/misc/curve.jpg

(density on the y axis, exposure zone on the x axis)

No big deal. Guess I was interested if I'm the only one here who notices that.

15. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob, that's a great chart!

Jeff, your findings are interesting for me. I haven't performed any measurements on my results, but always rate Tri-x 320 at 160 and FP4+ at 80 for processing in HC110. I've found this generally does give a 'better' negative for me (specifically denser and with greater tonal separations, more to my liking). It has the effect of lifting the overall exposure of the film away from the toe. So in that sense, gives predictable results.

16. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OT slightly but I'm in Europe and have been buying HC110 both in France and Italy. I have never seen HC110 in anything other than concentrate (i.e. 1:31 for dilution B). Is the "European" soup maybe a thing of the distant past, like old Tri-X: we keep hearing about it, but in effect it has disappeared years ago?

Oh, and I'll ditto John on both the 320TXP and the FP4 speeds for HC110 in sheet films. FWIW...

17. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How come I have never seen the European HC-110 when I live in Denmark. I have only seen the concentrate...

Morten

18. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HC110 is sold in Europe as a "less concentrated syrup" (Kodak Cat #500 1466). Dilution B, for example, would be 1:9 using this developer.

This information is at the Covvington site.

It is possible that it has been discontinued and the other HC110 is the only available.

19. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I buy the bottle that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

It is 1 litre concentrated. I use it 1+31 (B).

Morten

20. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, looked at it a few minutes ago, it's perfect. :smile:

21. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a densitometer, and rarely use a meter at all -- I shoot mainly by Sunny 16, which is rather like having the world's largest FOV for an averaging meter (though I do use a lot of compensating factors for sun position outside the 10-2 midday range, shade levels, etc.). However, I find that TMY and old TX (35 mm, from bulk, very cheap expired film) both give very good shadow detail in scanned negatives when developed in Dilution G with greatly reduced agitation and development extended enough to get normal contrast -- which comes to 19 minutes at 68F for the TMY, a little longer for Tri-X.

I *know* my "by eye" exposures aren't two stops over -- I routinely shoot TMY in hazy sun at f/11 and 1/200 or 1/250, which is either box speed or EI 500, and I get pretty good results...

22. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is the urban myth. All I ever get is the same stuff as Modafoto. In this day and age of extreme (bordering on assenine) rationalization of production and product lines, I would imagine Rochester would have done away with two versions of HC110 years ago, like it did away with multiple Kodachrome process facilities, and now Tri-X production lines.

But the men in yellow have been known to do illogical things... :rolleyes:
    Killing TechPan comes to mind, but also
    continuing Technidol when Techpan isn't.

23. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the confusion, Morten. Looks like yours is the standard pack and dilution, like the one sold in USA.

Mine is CAT No. 500 1466, 500 ml size, to make 5 liters....
    It says "Dilution B", and the instructions say to use 500 ml of HC-110 (i.e. full bottle) with 9 times water (i.e. mix 1+9), to make 5 liters of working solution.

I wish I could get hold of the "syrup" packaging. This one is rather expensive, if you take into account it's mixed 1+9... :sad:

Denis

24. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I see. The syrup costs approx. $45 pr. bottle (a little less than $1.50 pr. litre working solution (B)) in Denmark, and isn't really cheap, but compared to other photographic stuff (film and paper) developer is dead cheap!