JBrunner submitted a new resource:

HC110 made simple. - HC110 made simple.

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM
  2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can you add this to the Massive Dev Chart? that way it pops up in my app? :smile:

3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HC110 Notes

JBRUNNER, thanks for this. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I noted that TMax 100 and TMax 400 have the same dev dilution but yet have the same dev time. How can this be? I would think there would be some difference??

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They are not the same emulsions.

5. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jason, what minimum amount of developer per roll do you recommend? I found two recommendations one says 3ml another 6ml.

6. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    127 Format
    As a recent convert from D76 (I finally used up what I had), this is most appreciated. I've been putting off developing anything hoping I could find some info like this. Thank you, thank you!

7. bascom49

bascom49 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  8. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak dilution E 1+47 is close enought to 1+49 to provide lots of developing times.

9. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since I switched to HC-110 I've been using Jason's information with great success for Tri-X, TMX 100, FP4+ and Pan F+ in sheets and rolls.

10. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    JBrunner,
    What do you like about HC110? I used to use it and found it nice as super diluted compensating developer and use to have a great method for pushing HP5 with semistand. I've since switched to X-Tol and pyrocat hd. I'm just curious to why you like it for roll film. I do really love working with concentrated developers.

11. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think I have found an easier way to measure the stuff. I saved an empty dish-wash soap bottle, thoroughly rinsed it, and filled it with HC-110. I have a little graduate that goes to 100, and I fill it with water to 88. (I even put a little mark on it at 88). I then hold the squeeze bottle upside down and slowly squirt in the developer until the level is at 100. I need 600 mls, so it's 12+588. As soon as you stop squeezing the bottle, the flow stops, no mess. The little graduate is dumped into the big one, rinsed out a few times with water, which is added to the big one, and then it's filled to 600 mls. The little thing on the cap of the bottle even snaps shut.
    Best of all, it was free.

12. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just seemed odd that other developers indicated diffs of a minute when used with TMax 100 vs 400.

13. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is very clever... great idea!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JBrunner

Shooter:
    35mm
    My apologies, I thought you were thinking it was the same emulsion at different speeds.

It is actually quite a good question in regard to developing regimens, so I hope to give a better answer, and address a little mantra of mine, in the context of thinking people need to realize that the key to success in the darkroom is being consistent enough to have verifiable cause and effect, and that that is so incredibly more important than following what some hippie from Utard advises as a time, as to be possibly one of the most under sung magic bullets yet devised.

So, the times are just my times, what I like for a particular emulsion, so they aren't meant to be holy writ, just a guide for people to start with. Also, im thinking a minute more or less in a nine minute development scheme doesn't amount to a difference most people can discerne.I probaby cooked one at nine and tried it for the other with good results and wrote it down. All of the times will in my experience yeild good usable negatives, but adjustments should be made by the individual to achieve their own version of negative nirvana. One might find 12 minutes more satisfactory, and that would be fine by me.

16. JBrunner

Shooter:
    35mm
    The dilution automatically works out to a minimum of around 5ml a roll. I have found this to work fine. I have used lesser dilutions to attempt to develop tonality in APHS sheet film, with questionable success.

17. JBrunner

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I started with HC110 in high school, but we did the whole nine yards, tanks, replenisher, the works. I didn't learn much about developing outside what the Great Yellow Father stipulated were the correct and not to be questioned procedures. The line of thought went something like this: "The big brains in Rochester have already figured this stuff out, it is up to you not to screw it up."

Later, when I set up my own darkroom and started large format I started both learning that you could experiment and started using staining developers, PMK, Pyrocat, Wd2D+ etc. Loved them, but I needed something a bit more convenient and economical for my roll film, and I didn't feel I needed stain for stuff I didn't contact print alt process, so, during the Rodinal wars I enlisted. Despite my attempt to join the church, I harbored misgivings about Rodinal. It was just a little to much for my idiom. I did like the ease of mixing it up. Having always liked HC110, I decided to devise an easy to use monotheistic mix from concentrate method similar to Rodinal. I didn't know about dilution E at the time, so I extrapolated from dilution H and after some experimenting came up with my times. When I wrote the original article I was surprised at how much interest there was and how many people were happy with their negs.

18. JBrunner

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's awesome. Ill have to remember to label it so I don't wind up wondering why it won't suds.

19. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the follow up. Having not used this developer yet, but have been wanting to try it, the plan was to do some testing with the times. Thanks again.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do almost the same with HC-110 replenisher solution, and before that with the HC-110 concentrate itself.

The differences are:

1) I use a 45ml Paterson Graduate instead of the 100ml one; and
    2) I bought a new travel bottle with a similar dropper style cap, so I didn't have to be as concerned about the efficacy of my rinsing regime.

And I base my calculations of volume on 6 ml concentrate per roll of film. That number comes from a straight extrapolation of Kodak's capacity recommendations for HC-110, so it most likely contains a healthy margin for safety.

Of course, when you use HC-110 in a replenishment regime, there is no down side to increasing the amount of developer you use each time, as all but a small fraction of that developer just goes back into the bottle afterwards.

21. Photo-gear

Photo-gear Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A little home-made video clip I shot to show how to prepare an HC-110 dilution.
    Based from the Covington website.
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110

[video=youtube;h8-eSyj0ywA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8-eSyj0ywA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

22. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to use HC-110 more often.

Jeff

23. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm really not clear what problem you're trying to solve. Making a 1:49 dilution doesn't make anything easier than a 1:31 or 1:63 or 1:119 dilution, as far as I can tell?

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sure it does, it makes the math a heck of a lot easier, I use HC110 Dilution S (for Stone) of 1:25 because 1:31 gives me a headache trying to calculate the increases for each film. Maybe I'm a simpleton, but 1:50/1:25/1:100 are much easier to calculate.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use HC-110 at 1+49 which works superbly with the metric system. For my SS tank which holds 250 ml I use 5 ml of concentrate. As a plus I also use Rodinal at the same dilution. Makes life a lot simpler.

I use a 10 ml measuring cylinder and the viscosity of the concentrate doesn't bother me. As far as baby medicine syringes are concerned they are not very accurate and should be checked.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2013
  26. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a 10 ml baby syringe, fill it to the line and squirt it into enough water to hit the 500 ml line on the measuring cup. Easy peasy 1+49.

Is it a huge difference from 1+63? Probably not but easier to make. More importantly you skip the intermediate working dilution recommended by Kodak.