Heading NYC should I bother taking a camera

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by SMBooth, Jul 11, 2014.

1. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In October I'll be going to NYC for a couple of weeks with family. While topic heading was younger in cheek I interested in getting some ideas for areas to take images and see some image galleries.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Galleries? Bonni Benrubi, Throckmorton, SoHo Gallery, Hous Projects, ICP, MoMA, The Metropolitan Museum to name a couple. As for areas to photograph, well... it would be easier to define where NOT to take pictures than places of interest. The entire city is extremely photogenic. I'm sure you will be spending much of your time in Manhattan, which is all fine and good - tons of stuff to see and do there. But don't skip going to other parts of the city. I recently started venturing out into Brooklyn on my trips up there and there is so much to see there as well. Definitely take the subway across and get off to wander around DUMBO (which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass) - there are all kinds of neat restaurants and shops in the area, and historic buildings too, plus it gives you a chance to see the Manhattan skyline. You can also walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, an iconic structure and a bucket-list item for many people. If you're with your whole family, take the subway all the way out to Coney Island to walk the boardwalk, have a hot dog and fries at Nathan's, and ride the rides at Luna Park.

3. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I take a camera where ever I go. Never know when opportunity knocks.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would at least have a decent point and shoot camera with me. My first choice would be my Olympus Stylus 120 (smaller), followed by my Pentax IQ zoom 140m. I haven't been into the city in years, might have to make the trip soon.

5. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Major Winogrand exhibit at the Met right now...

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I (heart) NY

Take half the photo gear and twice the money. But it is a very photogenic place.

8. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a small P&S and wear it on your belt. That way you can really enjoy yourself with your family yet still can take quick shots of the trip. Like other have said, as a life time New Yorker (except for the last year), you'll have fabulous shots to take where ever you go. Here are shots taken throughout the 5 boros, mostly with a P&S, a few m4/3, just from me wondering around doing other things. You don't have to focus on taking pictures specifically to get a nice assortment. Good luck and have lots of fun in the Big Apple.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/nyc/

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    On street corners all around Manhattan there are large canisters of liquid nitrogen. I am told these are used in servicing the underground phone lines. Make a project of photographing these canisters. Nothing else is worth photographing in New York.

10. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Click on the " Group " tab.

Scroll down to the " Manhattan MeetUp " group

Post a day, and time that you would be available.

We can " MeetUp ", eat " Dirty Water Dogs " and drink " Labrador LegHumpers " !

~Ron @ Phone Number = 406-322-FILM

11. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all, keep the ideas coming.
    Were staying in East Village area but will head north south east and west. I particularly like the sound of the new park on the Brooklyn side of the river.
    Most likely have my P67 with me..
    Dont mind saying Im a big fan of Peter Liepke images either

MA Longmore, will do that closer to leaving Australia.

12. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the cloisters, cathedral of st. john the divine, the people, sewer covers, and maybe a 1,999 other possibilities... you'll have a ball!:tongue:

oh yeh, gotta visit icp.

jvo