Heading to South Dakota and Jellystone at the end of the week.

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Eric Rose, May 26, 2010.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    First stop in SD will be at the Badlands NP. Any ideas of where and when I should shoot? Any apug'rs in Rapid City??

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Early early morning, and then the late afternoon for the best light. Unless of course you want to do a photographic study of billboards of Rapid City and the Black Hills. There are more billboards per capita then prairie dogs I believe. HA!

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Them dogs, them dogs, them Prairie dogs, Devils Tower is there, it was the first National Monument in the US. Jewell cave is there too and the tour is a fantastic experience. They do love their billboard signs!

Attached Files:

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Devils Tower is in Wyoming, without the damn billboards. Well worth visiting.

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I spent my youth in the Black Hills and Rapid City. Haven't been back since I was 19, which is a very long time ago.

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the postings are no longer in the post office. :smile:

Mike

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, Eric. I don't know much about SD, but I know enough to steer clear of Yellowstone, unless you want to take pictures of tourists taking pictures. You can't pull the car over anywhere, you can't walk anywhere, and the overall situational awareness of the mob is poor.

I don't know your route, but Uptown Butte, MT is a photo gold mine, be it buildings or characters. I think it's a straight shot from there back to Calgary, up hgwy 15.

8. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jellystone ?
    I thought that was Yogi Bear's home.
    ;-)

9. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well just got back. The weather was not the greatest but there were enough good breaks to get some shots. The Black Hills were fun to see again. Big changes in 30 years to say the least.

Yellowstone was great but I was disappointed in the thermal pools. Seems a lot have dried up or are just murky. The crowds were sparse since it was at the beginning of June. There was lots of places to pull over. The only downside was it seems there are a lot of not so nice people prowling around.

Ended up taking about 1000 images with the D700, 2 rolls of FP4 with the M5 and my sweetie exposed 5 sheets of 4x5 plus around 1000 images with her Canon DSLR.

10. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think I know what you mean, but I imagine any geologists reading this post are rolling on the floor in laughter.