Heads up! NuArc 26 1k's in Salt Lake!

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by JBrunner, Jan 25, 2009.

1. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just ran across this ad local here. I spoke to the gentleman and he indicated that he still had them. He is willing to ship if the buyer arranges shipping.
    It would be a freight item.

If you are local to SLC, just go get one :smile:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=5043604&cat=&lpid=

2. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Actually its really easy to separate the light from the vacuum frame. Its just a matter of loosening 4 screws ( don't take them all the way out). The holes are slotted. If you package it in two pieces, they are around 75 lb. a piece. I think you can ship USPS or UPS. I use one of these units and they are sweet. You'll choose this over the pizza ovens everytime. Unless of course you're printing larger than 20x24. The light integrator allows you to really dial in the exposure times and having the light above the vacuum frame allows you to dodge and burn easily.

3. wilson

wilson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    what is that?

4. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    A plate burner or UV light exposure unit. We use them for alternative processes.

5. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a great deal. Hope someone gives them a good home. Robert's right. Once you use one, you'll love it.

6. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't advise shipping the NuArc 26-1k that way. Several years ago I bought one and had it shipped that way. It arrived in pieces, with all of the glass parts broken and I had to spend a couple of weeks buying parts to put it back to together.

If possible, I recommend local pick-up, or have it put on a crate and freighted.

Sandy King

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jason, I don't think it will be usable after being in the lake, especially the heavy salt concentration in the Great Salt Lake. A heads up is nice of you though as it might become a hazard for boating. :D

8. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got one a few years ago here in SLC also. I didn't know there were that many around! I might just go buy another and store it. I remember I was chastized for not buying the two I saw when I was looking...

9. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    FWIW, if anybody is interested in one of these it looks like a great price. I handled one of these in September - I had to take it out of the shop it was in to get the Speedgraphic and process camera I wanted. I gave it to my daughter-in-law to Ebay and IIRC it brought a little over $500 and shipped to Florida via UPS in two boxes as mentioned above. Arrived at the buyer in one piece but my son the engineer packed it up which probably had something to do with its survival on the trip.

10. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With these units, what do you use to shield the UV light from the rest of the room?

Also, how loud are these when they're running, considering vacuum frame and all?

Thanks!

11. RobertP

RobertP Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    As far as noise goes. Turn your darkroom stereo on about volume 2 or 3 and you won't know its even running. Basically the noise you hear is from the vacuum pump running. As far as UV exposure goes, you'll get probably 5 times the UV exposure by going outside on a Pasadena sunny day. But if you're worried about it just wear long sleeves and tinted safety glasses when you're dodging and burning. These units were made with a curtain that could be drawn around the light and vacuum frame while the unit is running. Of course that's no help if you are dodging and burning. You can also buy welding curtain material cheap and make up screens to set around the unit. But if you talk with someone who has considerable welding experience they'll laugh at the amount of UV exposure emitting from these units, considering the amount of UV that they come in contact with on a daily basis. These are not 2000 or 5000 watt units. They are only 1000 watts and the lighting is directional so 5 ft away from the unit the light that is being spilled has considerable fall off. Now you could buy welding leathers and a full face cutting shield but I've never felt the need to break mine out. Long sleeves, tinted safety glasses and a good sun-block on your face and the back of your hands should provide all the protection you need if you're really worried about the UV exposure. And if your eyes ever feel like you've got sand in them, hold raw potatoes on them ( old welders trick). But I assure you you'll never need them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  12. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks..the reason I asked about noise was considering working late at night in my house...

On the other hand, th Pasadena sun is consistent at least 10 months out of the year!