Heelllloooooo, new to film, new to APUG.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by SandyPhimester, May 18, 2011.

1. SandyPhimester

SandyPhimester Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been shooting digital (Canon 5D Mark II) for about 2 years now, that's about it. Before that I had a measly 400D and just messed around, pretty boring stuff, just taking abstract photos, friends, family, stuff like that. But eventually I wanted to do more, I liked it, a lot. So I started on digital.

After a while I wanted more, and I want to explore the real in depth light and culture of photography. I wanted to go deeper into the personal journey... just explore. So I decided to get into film. My first few rolls were on a 35mm Canon SLR. I liked it, a lot, but I also wanted to shoot more higher quality portraits, and 35mm film felt too small.

I got a Mamiya RB67 (from one extreme to the other?) and two lenses, the 90mm f/3.8 and the 180mm f/4.5, I love them. But mostly use the 180mm. It really became an addiction.

Now I have a Mamiya 645 Pro TL with a 80mm f/1.9 and a 150mm f/3.5, both are excellent and I love this camera. I shoot both Mamiya cameras equally, as they both offer advantages over the other.

I do my own scanning with an Epson V600. I've been getting better with color scans, but it's still a bit of a struggle. Tempted to start sending my work to pro labs such as RPL in the USA (even though I'm in Canada), but for black and white I feel pretty confident.

Anyways, I prefer portraits and such, this is my life, and my obsession. :wink:

I look forward to contributing to this community.

Regards from Edmonton, Canada! Any places I should head to first, or take part in first on the forums?

Cheers!!!

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA. You have two great cameras. Enjoy your visits to the land of film.

3. SandyPhimester

SandyPhimester Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I'll try!

I should maybe upload some photos to the galleries? Haha. Cheers!

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely upload all you have, go to all the forum threads, dive in the deep end! This is a great community of people who love film- made all the better by another eager photo-nut. Welcome aboard, SandyPhimester.

5. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey! Welcome to APUG from a Canadian expat living in Japan. You're welcome on all the forums and after a while I expect that you'll find where you're most comfortable. Cheers!

6. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG from a fellow Canadian! (Toronto, via Montreal, Saskatoon and Kitchener-Waterloo)

7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the asylum from another Canadian inmate. Have and enjoy both the Mamiyas you shoot. You'll enjoy hanging out here. Anyone else from Edmonton speak APUG???

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi! and welcome to APUG. I have an RB67 myself. I have a 50, 90, and a 180 lens.

Jeff

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

Steve

10. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! I shoot with a Mamiya RZ. Scanning is great, but you should print the negs when you get a chance. 16x20 prints are beautiful and grainless.

11. threemilesfinal

threemilesfinal Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG! I too am a newbie to Film and migrating over after shooting a 450D for a couple years.

Good to see more Canadians about!

12. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Have fun with medium format!

13. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't you mean aboot? :tongue:

Welcome to APUG and I look forward to seeing some shots!

14. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from an EX Edmontonian. I still have family who still live in your city and surrounding area (Wetaskiwin & Pigeon Lake) Here you will find more information than you need (for me anyways) and overall a great group who only deal with FILM and all the necessary tools you will need to print. And thanks to the classified ads here I have WAY too much equipment than I need. :smile: :laugh: :laugh: :cool:

Maybe just one more lens and a couple of tools and I will quit buying...... :laugh: :laugh:

15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from another Canuck!

16. SandyPhimester

SandyPhimester Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Haha! Thanks guys/gals, it's great to be here, amazed at the welcoming committee, but hey! So far I've found that film shooters are quite the welcoming bunch!!! I don't know of any other current Edmonton people who are members here, I see some of you have lived here before, or have been here though!

I look forward to posting and chatting about this great visual adventure we call film!

17. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from a non-Canadian ;-)