Heliopan filters: Single or double coated?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Kvistgaard, May 30, 2008.

1. Kvistgaard

Kvistgaard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I'm considering getting a few Heliopan filters. Just the usual suspects for black&white - medium yellow, orange, red.

Heliopan makes two ranges of filters: single and double coated. The price difference is substantial - double coated are almost 3x the price of single coated.

In your opinion, are the double coated filters worth the extra spend?

Thanks

2. Tom A

Tom A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Søren

I have a mix of single and multi coated filters from Heliopan. And I have noticed a small difference if I point the lens and filter into the sun or another brigth light, where the single coated filter showed a little more reflections. Otherwise I haven't noticed any difference.
    But despite the small difference, the new filters I am buying, are the multicoated type.

Try to check-out the price of the filters here FotoMayr. The price of the multicoated filters at FotoMayr are "only" 1.5 to 2 times the price of the single coated. :smile:

Tom

3. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Søren,

I agree with Tom: I have a mixture and find the multicoated better in direct light. As a personal preference I often shoot into the sun, so find it worth paying the extra. At Retrophotographic they are also 1.5 - 2x the price of the single coated.

cheers
    Pete

4. Kvistgaard

Kvistgaard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank Tom & Pete!
    I checked fotomayr.de, and they/he sure are/is a lot cheaper than fotoimpex (where I got the first set of Heliopan prices from).

Seems like fotomayr asks EUR35.95 for the same filter that fotoimpex wants EUR86.33 for. I was looking at a 60mm double coated yellow filter. I wonder if fotoimpex have their prices right - the difference, both to the single coated filter and to fotomayr's prices seems too high.

5. Tom A

Tom A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! Insane price difference!!! I guess it isn't filters Fotoimpex makes their money on :tongue:

Tom

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you should use multi- coated filters on multi-coated lenses, but it all depends on how critical you are and how deep your pockets are. The profit margin that retailers make on accessory s are huge much more than on Cameras and lenses.