Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by tjaded, May 7, 2012.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just recently acquired a Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 lens Nikon F mount. I've been doing a little hunting online but have not come across much for this lens in a Nikon mount. Does anyone here know much about these lenses? I'm not really sure if I should keep it or get it in the hands of someone that will use it more than I would. I don't tend to shoot a lot of 35mm nor portraits! Anyway, if you have thoughts/experiences with this lens I would love to hear what you think of them.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Tom Hensley

Tom Hensley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    MFLenses has a lot of information on the Russian lenses if you poke around on that site a bit. Search it using google like this...

site:mflenses.com Helios 40

At least for me, google searching sites like that tends to provide better results. I'm guessing that your lens has an adapter on it for Nikon mount?

I have a rather nice Helios 44 58/2 (in M39) and a Tair 11a 135/2.8 (in M42) that I keep meaning to get some time on my Canon. The Helios is a rather neat, very early silver one, SN starting with 00 with the 13 bladed aperture. The Tair is just in great condition and another nice bokeh lens. I need to get some more time with those lenses, they make interesting photos.

3. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it's a Nikon mount, it must've been mount converted as they only came in M42. It would be one of the rarer ones.

They are great for dreamy bokeh portraiture. If you don't do portraiture, then perhaps it would be better used in someone else's hands :smile:

4. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rather rare, I would think. I had one in M42 mount but I didn't care for its look and it's a bit of a beast to handle, so I sold it on. I bet a Nikon mount version would sell for pretty good money.

5. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it is the one mentioned in the beginning here: LINK It came directly to me from Russia, he was visiting San Francisco and brought it to trade!

6. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does it focus to infinity?

7. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, now I have the lens with me. It was at home yesterday when I posted! It does focus to infinity, so it is with the glass adapter. Interesting lens. Now I just have to figure out what the heck to do with it.

8. IronStar

IronStar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some Russian lenses were made in F mount. :wink: I think that Helios is among them.
    Also watch out not to force them to screw in more then possible, as the are notorious for breaking mounts.

9. Scrat

Scrat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you think about selling this lens, please let me know. If the price is right, I might be interested

greetz :smile:

Mirko

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, there was a Russian SLR which used the F mount. I don't remember which though.
    edit - yes I do, it was a Kiev 20.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  11. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Legendary lens.
    KMZ re-introduced Helios 40-2 (М42х1 mount) at Photokina this year, overall 6 photo lenses and 1 new cine lens, some cameras too.
    I think one of the photo lenses (fisheye) was in Nikon mount but don't hold me to it.

12. Kokoro

Kokoro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do we know if the new lenses will be available in M42, I heard that it was Canon and Nikon mounts but I didnt hear any mention of M42. Thing is, I use M42 so want to see M42 ones available.

from a ranslated page linked to from photorumors:
    "the lenses have been developed and have bayonets for digital camera Canon and Nikon - said the head of the marketing department"

13. aoleg

aoleg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a lot of controversy around this whole issue of KMZ re-introducing these lenses, so I'll try to separate facts from rumors here.

The initial (very small) batch of Helios-40-2 lenses was already released in M42. I personally know several lucky buyers, so this is a fact. The new lenses look exactly the same as the legacy versions, using the same amber coatings (single-coated, I presume); with one exception: they lack tripod mount.

Fact: the initial batch was sold out in less than 40 minutes from the factory's outlet in Krasnogorsk; they priced the lens at 8041 RUB, which is roughly 200 EUR or $250.

Rumors: subsequent batches are supposed to bear a higher price tag, although I don't know of any definite information on pricing and availability. Unfortunately, an online store is still in development, so this lens will probably keep selling in small batches through the factory's only retail outlet until the end of the year. I've heard rumors about distribution agreements made with US and European-based photo chains, so there's a good chance these lenses will officially make it into the rest of the world - but again, most probably not until some time in 2013.

Through mid-2013, the factory announced plans to start manufacturing an MC version of this lens; the MC version is supposed to be available in Canon and Nikon mounts, albeit with no automation of any kind (they'll be "bare", or "dumb" mounts).