helleaux :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Forrest Conifer, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Forrest Conifer

Forrest Conifer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I'm Forrest Conifer. I've been playing with film on-and-off since late 2011, using assorted trashy 35mm cameras acquired from thrift stores. Here's a photo of all the cameras in my collection - the aforementioned cheap 35mms, two 110 cameras and a Polaroid camera from the late 90s or early 2000s:

image.jpg

I like film because of the element of unpredictability which just isn't there with digital cameras. Here is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about:

P0XNqfd.jpg

^ that photo was taken on expired off-brand film using a Minolta Hi-Matic AF2 I found at an estate sale.

Thanks for having me! I'm sure I'll learn a lot and can't wait to begin :smile:

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Forrest and a warm welcome to APUG! I like your collection of cameras.

Jeff

3. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Forrest Conifer! Glad to see you're branching out!

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you finally found us. That was the hardest part. And now it's done. Glad that's over...

Have a look around. See what you think. Ask some questions. Maybe answer some too. Lots (lots!) of people here. Way-too-young to way-to-old. Lifetimes of knowledge available just for the asking.

Also keep in mind that, while accidental imperfections are interesting, film is also capable of stunningly high quality. In many cases of larger formats, far far beyond digital. But with a completely different look. And feel. And reward.

So let us know what you think...

Ken

6. Forrest Conifer

Forrest Conifer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you! I'm thinking of selling/trading the Canon AF35M, Vivitar 320Z and Fuji 190 Zoom, though.

I've heard that. Personally, though, I'm more interested in its lo-fi aspects :whistling:

7. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you wish, Captain. Just keep it in mind...

:wink:

Ken

8. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! Your "helleaux" suggests that you could be from South Louisiana -- or maybe just an LSU fan. I spent my teen years there.

9. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUGland!:D

10. Forrest Conifer

Forrest Conifer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wait, is that a thing? I thought I invented it. I was just trying to sound vaguely pretentious and psuedo-French :D

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome!

I got type 135 and 110 Fisher-Price cameras, though never came across your model.

The impredictability is rather due to the photographer than the film. Just because typically the final outcame is visible only by delay one should know what one is doing.