Hello, another newbie here!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Tiara, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Tiara

Tiara Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, I just found this website today. I am 16 and just decided to get into photography. I just got an analog camera today and thought I would try it out. If you have any tips for me that would be great. I would love to be good at this and can use as much help as I can get. :D Thanks

Tiara

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there, Tiara. Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the group. What kind of camera did you get? What lenses and accessories do you have? What sort of photography interests you? Again, welcome to the forum.

3. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Tiara. Welcome to Apug.

Hans

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to our community Tiara.
    Every possible question has been answered here in APUG and if you
    search a bit you will find all kinds of information: from the very basic to the most advanced and obscure.
    Like Chris said, give us your camera information and what would like to shoot
    and we'll be here to lend a hand.

5. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Tiara, it's nice to ear such young person is interested in analog photography, welcome to APUG and have fun around!

Cheers

André

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Tiara! It's great to have you hear! Ask questions.. use the search function, and enjoy your ride!!

7. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey Tiara, welcome from Montreal. You'll find tons of information here to help get you started. Here's a tip for you... Shoot a roll everyday (or more if you can afford it:smile:) and really get to know your camera. Good luck.

Katherine

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  8. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Tiara... welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA. If you can't find answers through the Search function, don't be afraid to ask. :D

gene

9. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug Tiara.

Claes

10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Tiara! Welcome from northern Indiana. You're going to have a lot of fun!

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Tiara, from the west coast of Canada.

APUG is a great internet resource, with lots of generous help available.

Where (generally speaking) are you located? There may be APUG people near you who can provide help that isn't easily provided over the internet, or can suggest other resources (courses, retail outlets, etc.) that would also be helpful.

Matt

12. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Tiara, from Australia. Be sure to ask lots of questions and you will learn, but most of all, have fun.

13. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Tiara,

Welcome to APUG.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Tiara

Tiara Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I just got an old camera. It is a Canon AE-1 but it is in pretty good shape. I have quite a few accessories and lenses. I have:
    Canon Lens: 35mm 1:2.5
    135mm 1:3.5
    200mm 1:3.5 lens hood on this one

Tamron: 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5

Vivitar: 75-205mm 1:3.8 Macro Focusing zoom

I also have colored lenses:
    Red
    Green
    Yellow
    Blue
    A couple polarizing
    A cross screen

This is most of the stuff that I have.

16. Tiara

Tiara Member

Shooter:
    35mm

I am located the Centennial State, Colorado.

17. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from England, enjoy the film adventure.

18. kavandje

kavandje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Advice to a beginner: Don't give in to the temptation to go glass-crazy; stick with one lens until you get the hang of exposure, otherwise it's too easy to get distracted. The 35mm is a good choice. Stick with black and white, and process it yourself if you can, to really get a feel for what you're doing. Avoid too many gimmicks, keep it simple to start with, and only later branch out.

See if there's a night school or camera club in your area that will let you use their darkroom, take a course, hang out with 'offline' photographers, and learn all you can. Don't be afraid to take the camera with you to places you expect to see interesting things (walk in the park, day at school, social events, whatever), and don't be afraid to be 'on the prowl' for pictures. Awesome images don't come automatically; you need to go out and get them.

And don't be discouraged. There is something of a learning curve, and you'll get so-so results for a while. Keep at it.

And have fun!

19. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome from another U.K. APUGer. Sounds as if camera and lens-wise you're off to a good start. Plenty of help and advice here

pentaxuser

20. hec

hec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    welcome to the group!
    I would second kavandje's advice on using one lens, so that you learn to "see" with it.
    But the greatest tool you can have in your bag is Patience. Do not rush the compositions, there is almost always something you can do to improve it, and it's better to see that in the viewfinder than on the print.

21. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome! Now that I've passed my highschool photo course and been posting here for 4 days I feel I'm entitled to welcome people :-D

I would agree to stay with one lens. The 35mm should be able to cover pretty much anything. I shot an entire photo trip on a 28mm. Of course I found out it broke around the third day of five and the last two days were overexposed :-/ Have fun!

What path do you plan to take? Are you going to shoot ye old supermarket film and hand it to the dude at the one hour photo store or are you going to go old school black and white and get yourself an enlarger? If you go with plan A have fun and if you go with plan B have more fun.

Does your school have a darkroom/photo teacher? You could start there for some advice.

It really doesn't matter how you get about taking pictures as long as you're taking pictures. The point is not what film or what camera, but merely the end result.

You'll find that analog is more fun than digital. I shoot super 8 movie film and I have to say that is so much more fun than video!

22. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello, Hello.
    Welcome from Northern Virginia.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

23. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "The Centennial State." I haven't heard that since I graduated high school in '75--from George Washington High in Denver. I took my first photography class there with ol' doc Prichard, the next year I was the lab assistant.

Welcome to APUG.

Terry

24. Tiara

Tiara Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What path do you plan to take? Are you going to shoot ye old supermarket film and hand it to the dude at the one hour photo store or are you going to go old school black and white and get yourself an enlarger? If you go with plan A have fun and if you go with plan B have more fun.

Does your school have a darkroom/photo teacher? You could start there for some advice.

I do like the black and white but right now I am just expeirementing. I am thinking of taking a photography class at the community collage where I live though in the fall semester. I am not sure if they have a darkroom there but I will be sure to check. I am pretty sure though that they do. Thanks for your advice. It helps alot.

25. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Hi Tiara, Welcome from North Carolina!

Janet

26. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Tiara, Welcome from downunder.
    Greg