Hello APUG from FILM Ferrania (PART 2)

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Sean, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What was originally promoted as a "happy accident" is now being positioned as having saved the entire business. Don't know if this is more marketing talk to further justify the diversion, or if the business is now relying on such fortuitous happenings to reach the finish line. I appreciate Dave's honesty, but I'm not sure I would have shared this tidbit.

2. foen

foen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are really boring...

3. flavio81

flavio81 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    P30 wasn't promoted as a happy accident. From the beginning, the founder (Nicola) wrote that he would wish to resurrect P30.

4. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My quote not theirs. Even so, it wasn't part of the business plan to bring their color slide film to market.

5. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm glad they have their P30 coming on line and available to sell. Any business needs money coming in the door. I'm looking forward to my color film but it's more important at the moment that they stay in business rather than rushing the color product out the door.

I, US customer, have not received my P30 yet either, nor have I been charged. I'm sure it will show up before long and looking forward to it, too.

Yeah, this delivery time for the P30 wouldn't be acceptable from an established manufacturer. But, FF is fledgling, barely, so I can be patient with them and I think we all should. Rather see them get there than lose out with poor product.

6. Europan

Europan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Dave. I know about the conversion situation with Film Ferrania and I know about the conversion situation with Kodak. In this respect Ferrania is better off than Kodak. Eastman-Kodak sold continuous perforators and intermittent perforators almost by the dozen or per weight. Would be interesting to know where those ended. Kodak can’t perforate 105 mm stock. Kodak don’t want to offer double-perfed 16mm stocks on their own terms. One literally has to force them to it although it was the Eastman-Kodak Company that introduced 16mm film perforated both edges in 1923. Kodak betrays users of their own great 16mm film cameras, the Ciné-Kodak Special and Special II. These and other cameras demand double-perfed stock to say nothing of the many possibilities double-perfed film offers for trick work, on editing, and with making archival duplicates. I have salvaged 16mm originals whose one perforation row is projector torn simply thanks to the existence of the original second row of holes. There are way more 16mm cameras with the regular aperture around than Super-16 ones.

I believe in Film Ferrania, Baldini is an active photographer and Pagni knows some of lab procedures. Kodak wouldn’t even deem it necessary to publish that their New York City lab is open.

7. Agulliver

Agulliver Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It was a happy accident that Nicola discovered a hand-written formula for P30 in a filing cabinet when things were being moved from the big Ferrania building to the LRF.

Prior to that, Film Ferrania were asked if they'd bring back P30 and Nicola said then that they would like to but didn't have the formula.

The plan was *always* to make a single large batch of E6 film using chemicals etc. left over from the 3M era, then start producing their own B&W film before formulating their own E6 films based on the 3M product.

The only change is that they weren't able to produce those reward films (plus some left over to sell and make money to allow the project to continue) due to circumstances out of their control.

Really...other than that window of opportunity to make the first batch...nothing has changed. They were always going to make and sell something other than the final E6 films in order to keep the money coming in. What do you think they are using to pay for heating, lighting, ventilation....wages? That kickstarter funds were explicitly stated to be for the purpose of saving the machinery necessary to carry out the project long term, move it and reinstall it in the LRF. That was done, and that money has gone. Nothing new there for those of us who bothered to read the original kickstarter info.

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would also guess that since the Local Government has also shelled out to carry out the re-activation of the LRF (new utilities and such) that they were probably wanting to see some paid sales and orders. Having the P30 pipeline of orders would help to keep them happy.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a vague recollection that there were a couple of 220 only film cameras, but the problem with using them with 120 would most likely be primarily related to the frame counters.

10. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are many film backs that come in separate 120 or 220 versions. and so the 220 versions are now next to useless.

11. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd definitely buy 220 if it was available in B&W, C-41, and E-6. I'd use it in my GA645 P&S and my GW690II. The convenience of not having to change rolls after 15 shots on vacation is nice. I almost never use my 6X9 for the same reason (although I don't take that one on vacation.) Come to think of it, I only have one camera that requires 120 film a Sears Tower 66.

12. twelvetone12

twelvetone12 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  13. gkardmw

gkardmw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got my P30 film today

USA! Cleveland Ohio area

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. gkardmw

gkardmw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    More information:
    Order Number 9043x
    Date: March 15, 2017 3:20 pm

16. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received an email saying that my P30 has been shipped. Should be here in a few days I expect (hope).

17. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope all you P30 shooters post your images here.

18. jimjm

jimjm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, look what arrived in the post today.... only 2 days after I received the shipping notification. :smile:

Now the tough part is deciding which camera gets to play first...

Not in a big hurry for the color film as I'm mostly a B/W shooter, but it's pretty cool to see some real product from Ferrania after all the wait.

ferrania_p30.jpg

19. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    That's a nice test panel you've got there! Use all three of them, starting from left to right. :wink: