Hello APUG

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Anthony-i, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello everyone, my name is Anthony and I recently got in photography about a month ago. I was planning on taking a photography class; I ended up not taking it but still wanted to get into film photography. I purchased a canonet ql17 g3 and like it a lot. I do not have a battery for it so I have been using it manually with the meter. Right now I am trying to get use to setting the exposure of my camera and just really been taking pictures during the day using the sunny 16 rule. One question, will pictures come out better under exposed or over exposed? I would appreciate any tips, tricks, guides or anything helpful really. This forum seems really cool and I hope to learn from it. Thanks for reading.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take the photographs exposed properly for now. Under and over exposing need to be done for the right reasons in the right conditions. Learn the camera and one film first. If you start developing film stick with one developer until you understand what the camera, film and developer can and cannot do in properly expose conditions.

It would be useful if your profile stated where you live. That way when necessary you could be told whom to see when you have a problem.

Welcome to APUG!

Steve

3. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Anthony !
    The GIII is such a sweet camera ... too bad mine isn't functional at the moment.

Ron

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Anthony. You asked whether it is better to over-expose or under-expose. With negative films it is generally better to over-expose rather than under-expose. Slides are different.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

If you are unsure about what settings to use for correct exposure, a good rule of thumb is:

1) for negative film bracket, but lean toward more exposure; and
    2) for slide film bracket, but lean toward less exposure.

6. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sirius- thanks for the response but I meant which is better when I don't know the proper exposure.

Ron- yeah I am really like it, what is wron with yours?

Chazzy- thanks for tip man

7. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Matt.

A few more questions, what speed of film is best for beginners? Does it matter?
    What is a good cheap B&W film? Any rule about exposure on B&W film?

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speed: depends on what conditions you photograph under. Generally anything between 100 ISO and 400 ISO should be fine for most purposes.

B & W exposure: same rules as for colour, except sometimes the colour of the light can be important with colour exposures (think street lights or tungsten bulbs).

B & W film choice: don't try to save too much money :smile:. I'd suggest to any beginner that they start out with a widely available film from one of the three top quality manufacturers who continue to make film today - Kodak, Ilford or Fuji. There are good films available from other manufacturers but there are more questions concerning quality control issues or supply chain issues - something a beginner shouldn't really try to deal with until they are more experienced.

In my case, I'm a lifelong Kodak user. For me currently, that means Plus-X for ISO 125, and TMY-2 for 400 ISO.

I'm not sure, however, that Plus-X is going to be around for the long haul :sad:.

In the short term though, Freestyle Photo has a house brand (Arista Premium) for 35mm film that most likely is actually Kodak film - a 100 ISO version of Plus-X, and for 400 ISO, a version of Tri-X: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c40-Black-and-White-Film

Those prices are excellent, and Tri-X (and Plus-X:mad:) are classic choices that you cannot go wrong with.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anthony - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Have fun with that camera, it's a great little camera. I don't use mine enough.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Anthony and welcome to APUG. If you have a digital camera, you can use the meter from the camera.

Jeff

11. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Matt thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Hello Jeff, I don't have a digital camera, actually this is my first time using a camera other than my phone's or
    a point and shoot.

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUGland!

13. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Anthony, from a fellow s. Texan (Riviera). this is a great site and you will find loads of help.

14. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello Valerie, yeah i am finding this site really helpful

15. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Depending on your phone, if it is a smartphone there's an app for that and it's free. Stick with one film until you get comfortable with different lighting and shooting situations, jumping from one film to another as well as different speeds of film can create confussion. I would suggest Kodak BW400CN as it is a good stable, moderate speed film that produce excellent results. The only draw back to it would be that it is a C-41 film that must be developed at a specific temp for best results. Not bad if you are sending your film out but when it comes time for you to start developing on your own, well let's just say it's difficult. The Illford HP5+ is another good film and if you ever plan to develop Illford chems are easy to use and very forgiving

The Kodak film can be bought at CVS or Walgreens which makes it convenient. The Illford can only be found at true camera stores or off the web. Hope this helps.

Joel

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  16. Anthony-i

Anthony-i Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the response Joel; I will look into that film. I found that app a few days ago and its definitely going to help me.

One question Joel, and anybody who wants to answer, Have you ever used thedarkroom.com to develop film? I see the ad here on APUG and just wondering if they do a better job than Walgreens or CVS

17. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any pro lab will be worlds better than CVS or walgreens. Check in your area for a camera store that sells film they should either be able to develop and print for you or can send it off. I use Richards Photo Lab in California for my fine art work but I have used walgreens for my kick around test rolls if I'm in a hurry.