Hello APUGers et bonjour from Montreal!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by KWhitmore, Apr 10, 2007.

1. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well well, how to begin? Here we go. My name is Kathy, I live in Montreal Quebec and I'm very happy to have found you all.

I've been hanging about here for a few weeks (waiting for payday) reading and learning (sometimes laughing) about all the great info in the forums. I've been doing this thing called photography for about 7 years now and it seems there's no end in sight. I just love this stuff too much.

About 2 years ago I began taking some workshops at a small local arts school to learn how to print my own black and white photographs. I never really liked the stuff I got back from the labs...thought it was just me. Ha! So then I heard a rumor last year that my school was going to close so I built my own darkroom last spring/summer in my apartment. Funny thing was, the school didn't close last year but actually shut it's doors almost 2 weeks ago instead. I'm alittle sad that my first school darkroom has closed (do you remember where it was that your very first print appeared to you magically in the developer tray?) because of my memories there but I thank gawd now for building my own!
    I have to inject a little note here about all the darkrooms I've seen and read about on APUG....fantastic! So many great set-ups, especially the space challenged ones! One darkroom I saw was painted mauve I think. Brilliant, I loved that.

I'll try to keep this short....just a little background for the truly interested. I grew up in a little town north of Winnipeg Manitoba. Winterpeg we like to call it. I lived on a wheat farm in the country with about 100 acres of trees mud, trails and a river at my disposal. I think this explains alot. My childhood home was a visual paradise. I was truly lucky to have all that. Skip ahead 20 years (give or take)...while I was working in Winterpeg as a hairstylist, I had an opportunity to work with a fashion photographer on a little photoshoot for a hair magazine. One thing led to another....:wink: and I decided that I wanted to be the one holding the camera and not the blowdryer!

I mostly shoot 35mm (Nikon FM2) but have been dabbling in the medium format (Holga, Mamiya C330) and enjoying it greatly. A secret: I really find large format photography totally fascinating and a little scary but I'm determined to try it when I have the chance. I'll be needing the help of you LF people when the time comes....Don't worry, I'm a good student.

Let's see....hobbies? That's a hard one. I guess I like to make soap (?) when I'm not sloshing developer on my floor. Hmmm..I like to play softball in the summer with my friends (I do not bring the camera to those outings...sand and beer do not mix well with the Nikon) I don't own a car so
    I ride my bike all over the place. I love to cook and drink wine with my friends but I think you have to do that when you live in Montreal. C'est la joie de vivre, non?

Finally I'd just like to say thanks to Sean (?) who started this forum and to all the other members who contribute their experiences, knowledge and humor. To everyone here with that sense of "stickwithit-ness", thank you!

Kathy Whitmore:D

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, from just about the other end of the country (the Pacific Coast).

Matt

3. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Kathy, and thank you for this very nice introduction.

Hans

4. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Kathy! Always nice to see more women here! :tongue:

5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kathy,

Welcome from NYC. Michel (mhv) is a fellow Montrealer and is a regular here. I'm sure you'll run into him soon.

6. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the welcome guys...now if I can just figure out how to navigate this place I'll be set!

7. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look in the upper right hand corner of you page. You will see something like:

"Welcome, copake_ham. You have 0 unread PMs and 94 new posts"

Click on the "94 new posts" and you will get the "global view" of the posts from all fora. :wink:

8. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks George!

Kathy

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A warm welcome from a sunny England Kathy, an interesting intro, enjoy the forum.

10. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from that "other" city. :tongue:

11. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Dave! I intend to spend a good chunk of time reading as many old posts as I can. Perhaps I could contribute someday....although that may take awhile.

Thanks Dinesh...did Toronto wup Montreal again? Good. I'm a Jets fan down in my heart.

12. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Kathy from just south of the border in New England.

gene

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Dayton, Ohio; the buckle in the Rust Belt! Plenty of future urban exploration, I fear!

Welcome to APUG and the photochemical bastion of the World.

16. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Kathy from an expat Torontonian. There's a banana around here who's from Winterpeg too. I'd stay away from him.

Regards, Art.

17. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    another soap maker too!!

Wow - never thought that the soap thing would be raised on this site again after I mentioned it many posts ago. Once you have the initial hunt of info under control, feel free to private message regarding the soap making efforts and we can compare notes.

Oh, and welcome too to the trove of knowledge that so many of us are keen to share.

18. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm from London... and lived in mtl and "the 'couv"... welcome Kathy. My GFs in mtl... let me know if you know of any workshops/labs happening there... it'd be nice to get her "entrenched"...!

19. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome!

20. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    bienvenue a APUG-vraiment,c'est les noisettes d'un chien:smile::smile:. Un photographe de bon gout batit sa maison autour de la chambre noir!

21. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Merci beaucoup Black Dog....but I thought this was the cat's meow!:D

22. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! A fellow flatlander here (from Saskatchewan - one province west of Manitoba, for those of you reading who didn't know that).

I just got into large format last year... there is a learning curve. Wow, though... it is fun.

23. KWhitmore

KWhitmore Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Howdy Jim! Apparantly there is a big-ish photo flea market in Montreal coming up soon....any ideas on some beginner friendly LF cameras to keep an eye out for? Learning is fun....

Kathy

24. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Kathy,

A belated welcome from the ORIGINAL Cajun country, where the French settlers came from (near Loudun). I live about 15km from the Maison Acadienne...

Cheers,

R.

25. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to have you aboard! I spent the first 16 years of my life in the Red River Valley south of you in Grand Forks, ND and still have lots of family out there and reasons to visit. There's lots of sky in the pictures out there!

26. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Roger,

Just to note, the Cajuns are in Louisiana and are descendants of the forcefully-displaced Acadiennes (note "word corruption" to Cajun) who had originally settled in what is now Nova Scotia along what is often referred to as the Evangeline* Coast.

Except as fellow Francophonies, the Acadiennes have no direct link with the original French settlers of either Montreal or the Province of Quebec.

Oh, and the term "Canada" is not a derivative of "Acadienne". :wink:

*see: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Evangeline for the poinant story of the ethnic cleansing committed by the British against the Acadiennes