Hello, Detroit newbie here.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Bradd Cluckey, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Bradd Cluckey

Bradd Cluckey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,

I have come recently to the wonderful field of photography and have alot to learn, thank you all so much for creating and participating in this forum. It is so great to get current support and information regarding analog photography in a world I thought had gone totally digital.

I have no formal training, but would definately like to take a class or two.

The whole interest stems from a hand-me-down Minolta x-370 my mother gave me. I now have an x-700, still not top of the line, but I rather love it. Its the perfect thing for a poor student/restaurant worker like me.

I guess that's a sufficient introduction.

Thanks again for all the great info,

Bradd Cluckey.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Richmond Va. It doesn't matter if the camera is not top of the line, it is the person behind the camera. I'm sure you can find a class or two in Detroit. Just browse thru APUG also, you'll learn alot.:D

Jeff

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bradd - Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. The X-700 was a pretty decent and popular camera during its time. Have fun using it! :D

gene

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from Utah.

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Bradd. And take it from a lifelong Minolta X user, the cameras get better the further back you go. Welcome.

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from Northern Virginia. No photographer can ever be as good as the simplest camera.

7. Jerry Basierbe

Jerry Basierbe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Bradd,
    Welcome from Livonia.

Jerry

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a girlfriend who was born and raised in Dearborn and Detroit. You are lucky to live in a city that is so photo friendly it makes me want to shit. Apparently, you are also lucky to have a job in that city! Hopefully these lucky things will add up to make for good luck in your photographic pursuits!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  9. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bradd and welcome to APUG from Melbourne, Australia. Don't worry about the gear. Just get out and shoot and enjoy and share it with us, when it works....and when it doesn't don't be scared to ask questions.

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Bradd.

We gave my father in law an X-700 for his retirement, on the advice from a shop I had worked in previously. They'd sold many hundreds (perhaps >1000) of this model over a period of about 3 years after its introduction and didn't have a single sample come back for repair. He beat his around pretty roughly for years and it looks like an old, dead press photogs camera by now, but it's still running great.

Have fun.

Lee

11. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from Minnesota. I discovered APUG relatively recently, but the APUG crowd has already managed to inspire me to both learn and appreciate photography.

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Bradd,
    Welcome to APUG. I'm a former 'Detroiter' (Ferndale actually) now living in Vancouver. If you live in Oakland County one of the best college photography programs/facilities in Michigan is at OCC Royal Oak Campus. The studio is large and the instructor is excellent. many of Wayne and CCS's photo students go there so they can have more access to DRs and Studio's. They also teach colour.

13. Bradd Cluckey

Bradd Cluckey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. JD Callow, thank you very much, I will look into The RO campus' facilities, I actually am a student at Wayne. I just heard yesterday about Wayne's darkroom, but since I'm not in a photography class there I don't know if I can use it.

2F/2F Detroit is great, and yes I consider myself among the luckey to hold even my barely paying job here. I grew up in Dearborn / Dearborn Heights myself actually.

Thank you all again so much,

Take care and I look foreward to all I can learn from you folks,

Bradd.

14. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Bradd,

Welcome from Royal Oak! I use the lab at OCC Royal Oak - Rob Kangas is a great teacher, the lab is well run, the people are friendly, and the tuition is really cheap! (The class should be about $200 or so, plus film and paper)

Email me or PM me if you would like more details.

15. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Brad... Welcome from Dearborn.

16. Jerry Basierbe

Jerry Basierbe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Bradd,
    I agree with Jeff and JD about OCC in Royal Oak. I've taken several classes there (a while ago) and the facilities are great.

Jerry