Hello from Aberdeen, WA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by glockman99, Mar 15, 2009.

1. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am Dann Fassnacht (glockman99). I am in Aberdeen, in Washington state, in the USA...(Aberdeen is the hometown/birthplace of the "grunge band", NIRVANA, as well as the "tall ship", "The Lady Washington"...The same ship that was featured in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie(s).).

I use Nikon 35mm MF equipment (F3HP & FA), and I have to say that it is GREAT to FINALLY find a forum that is dedicated to us "dinosaurs" who still use film cameras!.:smile:.

2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi glockman99, We like those old dinosaurs hear and use them. I've got two,a baby one (35mm range finder) and a Mommy (4X5 press) Welcome ,Mike from L.A.

3. fatmoon

fatmoon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome Dan!
    I felt the same way a couple months back when i found this oasis in the digi desert.
    Back when I used to live in Oly, I passed through Aberdeen a lot on my way up to Ruby Beach to shoot. Nice town ya got there! I live back in NC now but miss western Washington dearly.
    Im also a big fan of Nikon MF gear also. FM3a and F2AS are my babies.
    Take care and hope to see more of you here :smile:
    -R

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I'm a dinosaur also! And proud of it too!

Jeff

5. thebanana

thebanana Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're home now :smile:

J

6. msage

msage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello from the middle of Puget Sound (Vashon Island).
    Michael

7. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome, Glockman, from the National Capital Area. I do not have a Glock, but I do have Walthers--as well as a few cameras here and there.

8. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Dann, how's the fishing up on the Wynoochee River? I've got an F3hp among other formats.

Curt

9. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Curt,

I know that this is going to sound pretty stupid, but I don't fish. Eventho I'm almost surrounded by some of the best fishing in the USA, I just don't even own a fishing pole. And, it's not because I don't like to eat fish...Fish is one of my favorite foods...I guess even at 54 years old, I still haven't been bit by the "fishing bug".

The Nikon F3HP...A true masterpiece. The ONLY two changes I'd make to the F3HP is to increase the flash synch up to 1/250th/sec from the SLOW 1/80th/sec that it is, and, I'd increase the top shutter speed up to 1/8000th/sec from its' 1/2000th/sec.

10. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dann - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene (a fellow dinosaur :D )

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dann from another anologous devotee in Australia (I thought Aberdeen was in Scotland...) :rolleyes:
    Dinosaurs? They were never extinct. They simply carried on quietly far from the madding crowd.
    I'm a great fan of the Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Black Pearl. I thought the ship was a tiny model floating around in a fish pond for the movie. Evidently not!

12. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group, Dann.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dann, actually I haven't been fishing in many years, OK, decades, but as a kid I fly fished, steelheaded, trolled on the Challis River and surrounding rivers and lakes. The clam digging was great as was the Pheasant and Grouse hunting. So if it was under the sand or under the water or in the air I was taught to get it. My step grandfather was Norwegian and was the sportsman of sportsman. I was sent there for long Summers and into the Fall. It was an education that not many get. Before I could go fly fishing I had to cast into an old tire and tie my own flies. Before I could go steelhead fishing I had to go to town and capture my own night crawlers at the edge of the sidewalk and wet grass. I didn't have to load my own shot gun shells but I was expected to be accurate in my aim. I can still remember how my should felt the first time.

I have a Nirvana CD, Kurt Cobain was certainly one of a kind.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. rpsawin

rpsawin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dann,

Welcome to APUG from a northern neighbor.

Bob

16. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Aberdeen?...Yah, it used to be in Scotland, but years ago a few guys hooked up Aberdeen to a group of tugboats and hauled it here to coastal Washington State.:D.:D.

Yup, "The Black Pearl" in the movie was actually "The Lady Washington". I've been on her a few times (but without the pirates :D), and have found her to be slightly larger than a "tiny model".

17. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dann,

Welcome from Duvall, on the other side of Puget Sound...

-J

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello and welcome, Dann! The Lady Washington visits our bay occasionally (Humboldt Bay/Eureka)...I took my three boys aboard...nice ship!

Vaughn

Sorry for the digital images below -- images are from 5 years ago (they were 7 years old).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  19. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome aboard....from another Pacific Northwesterner. I'll be passing through your area the 1st full week in April. Starting at Whidbey Island and ferry over to the Olympic range, Neah Bay, rain forest etc, down the coast and cut over to Olympia then back to Arlington. I'll have the 4x5, Hassy (maybe the 6x9 if it's back from CLA in PA) and the digital gear. I try and do this each year in April/May. Last year I took a class in with B Barnbaum the year before I went to Montana...wonderful country we have on the west coast. Enjoy the journey.

20. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from northern Indiana.

21. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's good to know that there are now TWO great photographers from Aberdeen. I'm sure that Lee Friedlander has felt pretty lonely all these years having had to bear the distinction alone!

We have Dungeness crabs and oysters up here in Anacortes, too, but you get to eat those yummy razor clams!

Larry Bullis

22. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dang...I always thought that the "Hassy" was only a 2&1/4 X 2&1/4 camera...A Hassy in 6X9 would be excellent. Many years ago I had one of those giant SLR Pentax 6X9 cameras and got some nice photos out of those large negatives.

23. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yah, Lee was born here, but moved to New York when I was just a couple years old, so I didn't have the chance to meet him and learn from him. I'm pretty much "self taught" in photography (aside from a couple years in Journalism class at Grays Harbor College, here in Aberdeen, back in the late 1980's, and a few seminars "here & there" over the years).

...Razor clams?...Yup, YUMMY, but I'll still take a fresh, fat, "cooked just right" Dungeness crab over a clam anyday.:smile:.

24. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too but the Clam Chowder comes before the main course. Isn't local seafood great? How 'bout some smoked salmon on a cold fall day?

25. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My confusion, add a comma between the Hassy and 6x9. The 6x9 is a 1950s vintage Voigtlander Bessa II. I have it in PA with "Certo6" for a CLA (clean, lube and adjust) I'm not sure if it will be back by time for the trip. Not a problem, 2 film and 1 digital is enough.

26. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Clam chowder...I make a GREAT clam chowder, but when I take my wife out for lunch, we go to a place here in Aberdeen named "Duffy's". I usually have a Rubin sandwich (served with potato salad), & a bowl of their clam chowder...VERY good.

Dang...Now I'm hungry.:D.