Hello from arkansas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by shakyhandsJames, May 4, 2009.

1. shakyhandsJames

shakyhandsJames Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone. I'm James and I live in Central Arkansas. I am...not an experienced photographer, and this frustrates me a great deal. So any pointers about subject matter, composition, etc would be great. I am also of the philosophy that sometimes the wrong exposure makes for a better picture...thats just me. anyhow, howdy and hope to talk to some of you soon.

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome, James, from near Washington, DC. Strive to master the basic techniques so you can do them without thinking. Stick to one film and one developer for a good long time. Don't confuse sloppy technique for "artistry" or "creativity." Learn all the rules before you decide which are the ones you can afford to break. Begin by photographing things you like. Be sure to have fun.

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My daughter, in her toddler years, (she's a mature 7.5 years old now) taught me the most interesting path between two points is never a straight line. Dive in the deep end, and have fun!

Murray

4. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi James from south central Missouri.

Mike

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome.

The best pointer IMO is to think of the final print before you click that shutter. Examine the viewfinder very carefully whenever you have the time, and imagine the print that will be made from the image you see there. Next, make prints the way you want to make them; not the way you have been told to make them. If you aren't doing this, then why on Earth are you photographing anyhow? Third: technique can be learned by anyone if they put in the time and effort. If you are having problems, you will get it eventually if you put in the effort. Don't obsess over it to the point that you forget why you are taking pictures in the first place.

Those are three things that I am glad were hammered into my head early on in my photographic pursuits.

6. kchittenden

kchittenden Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome from SW Missouri.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello James, welcome to APUG. Just take your time and everything will come to ya.

Jeff

8. shakyhandsJames

shakyhandsJames Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks everyone for the replies.

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome, James. Just choose a topic, ask a pointed question and get a dozen pointed answers. Nothing to it.

10. shakyhandsJames

shakyhandsJames Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    one thing I forgot to ask is whether any photography books can be helpful with technique, and/or fundamentals.

11. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

You just popped the loaded question of the day. Try Ansel Adams' "The Negative".

12. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Oh, and CiM. The link is down there.

13. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello James, I grew up in Jacksonville, still have family there. Which town are you in?

14. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome. Take it slow and easy; give yourself the opportunity to learn from lots of mistakes.

15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When it comes to books, visit your local public library. Borrow or sit there and read all they have. Take notes on techniques that interest you. In the meanwhile SHOOT whatever interess you. Keep a note pad and record as much as you remember. Compare your notes with what you've shot. If you like the results , do it some more. If unliked, dont do it again. The only book I'd recomend is the National Geographic field guide for B&W photography. Oh yeah-- Welcome from the land of the endless mountains of north central Pennsylvania.
    Rick

16. largely

largely Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome James from California. The most important piece of advise has already been offered by AnscoJohn. HAVE FUN! If it's not fun there's no reason to do it.
    Shoot lots of film. Film is cheap.
    By all means look at the work of others. When you see images that you (not others) find excellent, ask yourself what makes it so.
    Most of all,
    ENJOY,

Larry

17. Cheryl Jacobs

Cheryl Jacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Heya from Denver. Actually, I spend a lot of my time in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I was there in February recording with Earl Cate and a whole cast of characters.

- CJ

18. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    James - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene

19. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from northern Indiana and have fun on APUG.

20. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi James and welcome from Bruxelles Belgium - It's so obvious but a good start would be to read a lot. Books about the technical aspects, books about great photographers and then go out and give it a start. First take pictures of what you like most. If you're interested in sports then take pictures of that. A lot. The more the better. Seek frank opinions about your production. Don't hesitate to break the rules by a different approach. For instance, use a wideangle to shoot sports, use a telelens for landcape. I find that human interest brings good pictures.
    :smile: