Hello from Chicago!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by adamf13, Feb 5, 2012.

1. adamf13

adamf13 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Greetings APUG. I had been shooting almost exclusively digital for the last 10 years when I recently found my old Minox 35MB. I loaded it up and took it outside, because it was a good excuse to get away from the pixel pushing I do all day. After I ran through the roll, I realized I had a shutter that was only firing about 30% of the time. Instead of giving it up and heading back to digital, I've pushed further in. Since then I've picked up FED-2 and just acquired a Yashica-D. Now I have my eyes on the look out for an Olympus 35 RC. If I'm not careful, I'll probably end up with bathroom darkroom before I know it.

2. cantore

cantore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome "newbie from Chicago" from another newbie from Chicago!

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello adamf13 and welcome to APUG from SE WI.

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to both new Chicagoans. :smile:

5. panchro-press

panchro-press Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome!

Chicago is one of my favourite cities. I love Gene & Georgetti's and The Cape Cod Room.

-30-

6. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wow....lived there my whole life and never been to gene&georgettis---I walk or drive past it too--more than once a week. I don't even know where the cape cod room is.

hey chicago dudes--there's a community darkroom on milwaukee ave. I've been there but they're a bit scared of the stuff I do with dichromate bleach and alt processes at this point. HOWEVER, they are most receptive to "conventional" black and white processing. They have all the equipment you'll need if you want to try it out before you go buying stuff and cluttering up your house. They're pretty cool and environmentally responsible folks. OH--if you're LOOKING for stuff gimme a holler--I really need to get rid of my old stuff....make you a good deal since it removes the awful spectre of shipping or craigslist flakes.

7. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello from Highland Park. If you want to do BW film, you should at least develop the film. It is really quite simple to do. Sounds like John may have some stuff...I may even have a set of reels and a tank you could have. If you are interested and willing to pick it up, let me know and I'll check to make sure I actually have it!

8. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome from another Illinoisan!!

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hello from Richmond, Va. I hope you enjoy APUG.

Jeff

10. adamf13

adamf13 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I wasn't expecting to get restaurant advice as well as photography advice. Thanks for all the tips! I'll definitely look in to that community darkroom. I'm sure my girlfriend would be happier with that rather than a jug of developer next to her shampoo.

11. panchro-press

panchro-press Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Cape Cod Room is in the Drake Hotel. I've spent many a happy afternoon there sipping martinis and having oysters at their raw bar

-30-

12. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from South Bend, two hours to the east. It seems as if there are enough people near Chicago to have an APUG meet up sometime.

13. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts! :D

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

15. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And don't forget to check out Central Camera for darkroom and film supplies. A great old-fashioned store with great old-fashioned service. :smile:

16. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    central is a bit pricy though with their equipment....actually HELIX has some used stuff there now--they had some older enlargers last time I was there and they do have parts for omegas and beselers and stuff....but it's like regular retail....I'd stick to the folks here for such stuff just do a "wtb" and you'd be amazed at how many people have stuff they don't need.

central DOES have a lot of hard to find stuff though---620 film, projector bulbs---weird attachments---filter doo dads you can't find anywhere else...they NEVER EVER throw ANYTHING away...EVER

helix I think has enlarger lenses in stock too...got a lot of kool stuff there over the years.

17. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey, welcome to APUG from SE PA.