Hello from deepest Essex

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Rich K, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Rich K

Rich K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm returning to film photography after a gap of many, many years. I used to use a Zorki 4K which was a Xmas present in the 80's.
    I no longer have the Zorki but now own two Voigtlanders, a Vito B and a Bessa. I intend to use primarily b&w film
    My brother was a big fan of analogue photography, was a member of apug, owned many film cameras, did his own developing and would preach the advantages of film over digital at every opportunity.
    Unfortunately he passed away in December and by way of a tribute to him I'm returning to film for my church architecture photography which I would usually use a digital camera for.
    It's going to be a steep learning curve but I'm looking forward to both the challenge and the results.

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome to APUG. I feel sad for your brother. Could you please share his name ? May be I remember him :sad: Your cameras are excellent . Ilford is a UK based photographic papers , films and chemical makers and you can find huge selections of products from them. If you want they can process your film and print on paper. There is a lot of information at their site. They are supporting this site and Simon will be your after sales problems man here. May be if you post your ideal pictures here , we can advise you on development , film selection , filter selection , paper , enlarger filter selection.
    If you want , I can email you pdf books on all aspects of film photography to your e mail address. Every book will be around 24 mb size and you will be needed lot of space at your inbox.
    PM me your email and books are yours.

Best wishes and take care,
    Umut
    Istanbul

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum Rich and deepest condonlances regarding your brother.

You will find a lot of folks willing to help in your learning experience here.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome Rich. Returning to film as a tribute to your brother is a nice gesture which I'm sure he would have approved of.

If you have any queries regarding using film, this is the perfect place to ask.

Steve.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rich.

Your brother Andy was a great contributor here, and will be sorely missed. We hope you will get as much from APUG as Andy obviously did.

7. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rich. I was very sad to hear about Andy, and so pleased to hear that you have been inspired to enter the world of film.

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Again, welcome to the family, Rick. We'll treat you like family and make you wish you weren't.

9. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rich, a very warm welcome from western Washington State. This place is also like a family (a very big and raucous family).

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a big welcome to APUGland!

11. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Rich. Sorry about your brother.

12. Rich K

Rich K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.
    I'm fortunate that my brother had a reasonable library of photography books that I can use as reference but that doesn't mean I won't be asking questions.
    I'm even more fortunate that today my parents have given me Andy's Rolleicord vb. It has a part used film in it so I'm interested to see the last images he shot.
    I think the learning curve just got steeper!

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I remember when Andy got the Rolleicord. I have a similar Rolleicord V.

As for books, I know Andy had a copy of John Gay's England Observed. That is a great book for inspiration, especially to see what can be done with a minimum of equiment. Almost everything in that book was taken with a Rolleiflex.

Steve.

14. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome Rich!
    I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Ask your questions, I'm sure people will be pleased to answer you.