Hello from Germany

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by rfshootist, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi to all,
    after having registered already some months ago I was just lurking a bit to see what's going on here and today I decided to subscribe.
    I am A German amateur living near Heidelberg , shooting 35mm RF (CV stuff) and SLR (Nikon) and sometimes I blow the dust of my Yashicamat 124G and shoot some 6X6 too if I think it makes sense. A little Ricoh R35I have with me all the time, as a photographical notbook so to say.
    I shoot film only, there is no digital cam in the house excepted my phonecam:smile: and there is a bunch of reasons why this won't change very soon.
    I shoot Superia 200, 800 and 1600, Kodak 100 Elitechrome slide, Kodak C41 B&W, Tri-X and Neopan 1600. And this is the main reason why I came here, I am a bit tired of those folks who never get tired to praise the advantages of their digital cameras tho nobody asked them to do it and tho they are not knowing a... from elbow technically, neither analog nor digital.
    Even at places where the vast majority works analog (RFF) this seems to be an unavoidable outrage always ending sadly . When I read that almost 70% of the members hee vote for banning such discussions I thought I should find out what kinda gals and guys meet here :smile: I am simply not interested in these discussions and I am also not interested in watching poorly converted digital colour shots, no matter if this converting software is the absolutely latest thing again.
    And I am tired of reading again and again and again weak minded statements why film is really dead from now on.

This is my third serious approach to photography, which started in 2001 and seems to work more successfully than what I did in my early 20s and mid thirties.
    There are two other reasons why I decided to subscribe.
    First: I found a bunch of very well done photographs in the galleries, more top work than I have seen at most of the other galleries where I post my pics ( mainly RFF, and a bit still at usefilm and pgallery but 'll give up the latter now) and photographs are generally the only thing I am interested in. If something could seduce me to think about new gear then it would be the photos of fellow members, but not test results from any self taught amateur testers who have no clue what a test is at all.

Second: After a long time of suffering from bad silver B&W developments in mass labs I now decided to try to do my silver based dev again at home and at this point I think it could be helpful for me to have some experienced folks around me which are willing to waste their time with some tips and tricks for a dev newbie.
    I actually did it whith FP4 and HP4 in the 70s, but it's all forgotten.

Best regards,
    Bertram

2. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Bertram! :smile:

This is a great place to find answers to pretty much all questions analog!

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Bertram! Or maybe I should say, Abend!

Anyway, feel free to ask questions here, there are lots of people who are willing to answer them.

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey! Welcome aboard, Bertram. I visited Germany for the first time last year and had only a few cameras with me (old Rolleiflex, even older Kodak.) After spending a little time in the countryside I wished for wide angles and large format. I'll be back.

5. alien

alien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hallo Bertram, viel Spass hier!

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Willkommen in APUG, Bertram!

I was planning to go to "near Heidelberg" this summer, but had to go to work instead. My wife got to go to the Obergrombach Musikfest alone :sad:

7. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Bertram,
    welcome from Germany ;-))

8. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome. Keep that 124G in good working order !

9. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Herzlich willkommen bei APUG Bertram. :smile:
    I'm so glad you could join us.
    Kind regards from West Australia,
    Nicole

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Bertram, you are among friends!

Andy.

11. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Bertram,

Your name and details are familar from CVUG and an old "film and soup" mailing list, so welcome to APUG. There's some really good people here. Take a look at the print exchanges too they're great fun.

Cheers

Mike

12. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bertram, hartelijk welkom bij APUG.

Hans

13. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks !

Many thanks to all for that friendly welcome ! As a photographic introduction I've posted some photos which I recently have shot in Paris, at the time I am experimenting a bit with colour neg film at night and try to find out how far one can go with a monopod :smile: To me it seems 1/4 sec (but leaning toward a wall or lamp post) is the lower limit for halfways acceptable sharpness.
    Best,
    Bertram

14. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Herzlich willkommen!

15. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bertram,

Welcome to APUG! And luck you! You live in one of the most photogenic cities in the world! (with the possible exception of Delft, Holland!)

Film is definitely fun, so welcome to the club -- you're among a lot of friends here and they're a great bunch with real world advice, experienced guidance, and tips that actually work. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

16. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Bertram and welcome,

can you be more specific what near Heidelberg means? I live between HD and KA, maybe a half hour drive away from Heidelberg.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

17. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hallo Bertram, Gruss aus Indiana. Haben Sie uebrigens je einmal in Brackenheim (bei Heilbronn) photographiert? Das ist gar nicht weit von Heidelberg. Dort lebten meine Ahnen.

18. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Gruss Mein Herr, und Willkommen beim APUG!

Nice to have you here.