Hello from Katy, TX

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Anthony J. Martinez, May 9, 2011.

1. Anthony J. Martinez

Anthony J. Martinez Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've lurked for a short while, though I've known of APUG for at least a year now. My interest in photography began in Baqubah, Iraq. I needed something to do in what little free time an infantry soldier is afforded and it needed to be less noisy than my guitar.

Years later, I'm thoroughly addicted to photography though my tastes are shifting in the general direction of film. I expressed an interest in film on another forum and one of the members sent me a 35mm EOS body for free. I never really warmed up to that camera, and have since given it to another member of another forum who posted an interest in shooting film.

What pushed me over the edge was a Mamiya C3 I bought from wclavey. Truth be told, I purchased the camera with the intent of it sitting on a shelf looking pretty. I was also given a few rolls of film with the camera so I figured I'd shoot them. Instant love. It now sits in the shelf space my "I need to grab this and go!" gear lives. It kicked my 5D Mark II off that shelf and back into a case from which it seldom emerges.

Folding cameras have replaced my point and shoot digitals as well. My motorcycle's vibrations, as few as they are, have fried the circuits of several Canon G9s. Several thousand miles have been unable to shake the resolve of either my Agfa Isolette III or my Kodak Retina IIa. One of those two cameras is on me at pretty much all times now.

By the end of this week, after I finish a differential equations final on Wednesday, I will start and finish a darkroom build at my house. The centerpiece will be a Beseler CB7 I picked up two weeks ago with several lenses (Nikkor, Schneider, and Rodenstock), many carriers, easels, trays, and more odds and ends than I can shake a stick at. Hopefully I've got some enlargements to share in the not too distant future.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While differential equations are useful for other pursuits, you will not have a great use for them in photography. [What degree are you working on? Which field?]

That said, welcome to APUG.

Steve

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Far out, and a hardy welcome to Apug. Consider this your new home.

4. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, looking forward to seeing your work here! And thanks for your service!

5. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Steve, I'm studying mechanical engineering at the University of Houston.

6. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the welcomes.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great.

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
    Mechanical Engineers build munitions.
    Civil Engineers build targets.
    Steve

8. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I fought the biological connection with mechanical engineering for some time (both my father and my grandfather are MEs). I studied both ME and computer science pre-Army. I added criminal justice to the list while I was active duty, and when I left the service I studied journalism for a year before deciding to finish what I started in 2001. My younger brother, an electrical engineer, noted that if I'd managed to get circulated by the New York Times, Washington Post, LA Times, and have BBC call for an interview it might not be overly necessary to have a degree in journalism. It followed from there that few things would keep me from writing with an engineering degree but engineering with a journalism degree might not work out so well. As one who prefers a challenge it made sense for me to go back to my roots. UH got the nod because the GI Bill actually pays me more to live in Houston than any of the other cities with colleges of engineering willing to take me as a transfer student. My grandfather earning his PhD there did not hurt any either.

The CB7 out in the garage is distracting me a ton though. I really just want to build the darkroom now and go into the final without preparing. It's highly unlikely I do poorly enough on the final to fail the course but I'd rather knock it out of the park. No sense doing well on three exams to throw it all away by not caring about the final. I suspect my negatives will be just as happy to be enlarged this weekend as they will tonight.

9. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Anthony. My name is Valerie..... lol :whistling:

You got the bug and you got it good! I hear you are even talking LF!

10. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed I do. I'm not sure whether to blame Westley or Wayne for the LF mumblings. Westley showed me some 4x5 contact prints and my brain exploded. Wayne said I should get an enlarger to handle 4x5, just in case. Now I have an enlarger for 4x5, but no 4x5 to enlarge with it. For shame.

I did send the enlargement of Meg to her for graduation. She loved it. Thanks again for showing me how to do all of that. I suspect that package of paper I bought will not last through the weekend. I also seem to have lost my cable release somewhere between here and Austin. Looks like a stop at Co-op on my way home from my final will be in order. Might as well pick up some chemistry while I'm there. No good reason not too!

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Anthony.

FWIW, differential equations are entirely relevant to the measurement of acutance :smile:.

Hope you enjoy it here.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoy being here.

Jeff

13. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great intro Anthony! Welcome to APUG.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  16. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.

17. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I read at National Geographic Web Site that Martinez name is the most frequently used name in California.
    Welcome to APUG.

Umut

18. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wouldn't surprise me if that was true for Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas as well. Martinez and Smith both take up significant portions of phonebooks in any state bordering Mexico.

19. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Anthony. I hope that you find a 4x5 camera to suit you.

20. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Charles. I still have some thin brass stock, so I believe I may build a 4x5 pinhole. I've built a pinhole camera that works rather well with 120 roll film (though I need to cut a red-window for the frame numbers soon). I can see no reason why I shouldn't give it a shot in 4x5 as an entry point. Perhaps I'll do that this weekend just to see how it comes out.

21. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Anthony ,

Do you know Anamorphic Pinhole Cameras record on 6x17 film ? www.f295.org is a good place to learn and check the results plus construction plans free. You need to find forums buttons and there are thousands of pictures recorded with pinhole , zone plate or what is the current technology. You dont need to subscribe them to view the results.
    120 film is easier for you and I dont cant think you will have business with the zone system , beyond the zone system while you are with 4 x 5 pinhole so why go in to trouble.
    If you buy 250 microns pinhole from lenox laser and go for the anamorphic camera , you will have faraway sharper pictures and 6 x 17 positives or negatives.
    I think your Mamiya is great also.

Umut

22. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Umut, I've been through f295.org a time or three. I've kicked around the idea of 6x17, but I'd just as soon enjoy one in 4x5 as well. My 120 pinhole isn't quite a full 6x6cm frame (thanks to the quantity of beer I consumed while measuring and cutting), but I like it well enough. Truth be told, I'm not particularly interested in the highest quality pinhole that can be constructed. To me, pinholes are about the imperfections that make them fun and personal. What will probably happen is I'll likely end up building a box camera 4" deep, and I'll likely take the high-E string end from my Stratocaster (.012") when I change the strings and shove it through a piece of brass stock. That should cover a 4x5" negative, yield about a 75 degree angle of view and leave me with about f/340. The results may end up worth printing, or they may end up very much the opposite. Either way it will be fun! :smile:

23. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wow , You have an Victorian taste at photography , lets say impressionist. Yes , You would try a 8x10 color later. I have a French painter Monets print and I now better understand what you are talking about.
    Its summer time at texas and may be there is desert flowers bloom. Yes , You will have lots of fun.

Best ,

Umut

24. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  25. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home David !

Ron

26. Anthony J. Martinez

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good news all around. Managed A's in everything this semester, and I finished my darkroom. :-D