Hello from New Mexico

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by shicks5319, Jul 30, 2004.

1. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm Steve Hicks, and I have been hanging around this forum for a few months now, and have yet to introduce myself properly. Several of you folks have been kind enough to address my stupid questions, and I appreciate it very much.

My wife and I have recently moved to the mountains east and north of Albuquerque (I grew up here) after a 27 year stint on the Big Island of Hawaii (she grew up there). Our family business remains in Hawaii in Kona (we are Greenwell Farms - Kona Coffee producers) so life takes us back there 4 to 5 times a year.

I have been involved in way too many endeavors to claim proficiency at anything. I have made a living over the years running a sawmill and hardwood business, managing a large cattle ranch in Hawaii, designing and building studio furniture for the wealthy, and for a period I was the general manager of the water and sewer utilities for several resort communities on the Big Island. I still don't know what I'll do when I grow up.

Discovering the joy of a hand made photograph has been a great experience for me. I started this journey years ago with an old Canon 35mm because I needed pictures of my furniture. Once I started trying to capture other things around me, photography took on a life of its own. I have recently put down my MF system to give LF a try in order to satisfy my lust for bigger negatives.

Finding this forum was a major stroke of luck for me. Thanks to all who contribute to this fine endeavor.

2. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Steve, from a little east of you DFW. As you already have found, this is a great place to be. Lots to see and shoot in your part of the world (my favorite state, after TX of course) - but then haven't been to them all yet.

3. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice to see you here Steve, If you are who I think you are then you'll recognize Ken M here also. How did your images from Yoemite turn out?

4. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Tom,

I probably learned a lot more than created great images. I did find a few though. Hope to run across your path some day.

5. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Steve!

Wow! Sounds like you have a full & interesting life! Since you've been here a while, you already know what to expect from the group!

Look forward to seeing your pics in the gallery!
    Jeanette

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Steve!! Always good to hear from someone with experience in the Islands. I live on Oahu myself (Kaneohe).

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the site Steve.
    Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to grow in the opposite direction. I have been a resposible adult for too long now (five more years... five more years!).
    I look forward to seeing some LF photos of your new hometown area.

gene

8. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the other side of the mountain (Albuquerque)!

9. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

10. r-brian

r-brian Member

Welcome Steve

Looks like at least 3 of us from the Albuquerque area.

Brian, Lower NE Heights, ABQ

11. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    dave...from santa fe

12. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You guys in New Mexico ought to go say hi to David Micheal Kenedy in Albuquerque. His platnum prints are amazing and his darkroom is a dream.

13. mark

mark Member

Hi there.

I live three hours west of Albuquerque and 30 miles from Canyon De Chelly. From a SW point of view your right around the corner.