Hello: from Northampton. England

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Strokebloke, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My name is Jack & I am a retired structural & civil engineer. I became a member of this site today & automatically assumed that it would be necessary to perform some sort of introductuction immediately. It appears, from briefly reading one or two other introductions, that this is not, in fact, the case.
    I was forced into early retirement in 2004, following two severe stokes in August of that year. Until then I was very active, fit, and a keen veteran racing cyclist. It has taken until the middle of 2008 to become just moderately (day-to-day) active again. I can walk & talk again. I no longer have epileptic seizures, and though my left side is still very noticably affected, my right side has largely recovered. My speech has also improved to the stage where I can talk to people who know me [& know about the effects of the strokes] on the telephone. It is certain that I will never return to college lecturing.
    So, I have looked at things I can do, to replace the things I can no longer do, and taking up photography is one of those things. I bought my first camera, a digital, (sorry :tongue:) [a Sony a200 DSLR] three months ago; and whilst I enjoy the ease with which even I can take photo's, I want to learn the fundamentals of photography & not become part of the Auto Mode, Point & Shoot school of snap-taking. Consequently I have bought myself A Nikon F601 [US/N6006] 35mmSLR, with a variety of lenses, which has all of the autofocus modes, but also the ability to set Aperture & Shutter priority as well as Manual Mode. And to really get back to basics I have also purchased a Nikon FM2n, which is, as I'm sure you know, entirely manual.
    So it's very much a learning ground for me at the moment, & a professional photographer here in England, suggested I look at this site, being dedicated as it is to non-digital photography.
    So I am here to learn. I'll gladly contribute, as I'm able to. But essentially I'll be asking the questions, rather than answering them.
    I've learned a lot already, at least from an academic/theoretical point of view, but I have much to learn in terms of practical application.

Regards,
    Jack

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jack:

Welcome from the south-west coast of British Columbia, Canada.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Some times, a well crafted question is the best contribution of all.

Matt

3. Tlee

Tlee Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello from a fellow midlander, what is your preference Colour or black & white?

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi from about 12/14 miles to the East. You're probably my nearest neighbour on APUG. Very sorry to hear about your medical misfortunes. Life is so arbitrary, brutal and unfair. I think that analogue photography will appeal to the same talents that you had which led to your choice of profession and you will realise your potential in this new but maybe not unrelated field.

My best wishes

pentaxuser

5. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jack - welcome to APUG from western New England, just a few miles south of Northampton, Massachusetts.
    We are glad to have you amongst us. Ask away and make sure to have some fun.

gene

6. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jack - great to see you on APUG.

I know you will find it a great site here!

Matt

7. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Jack, you are sure to find any advice you need here!

8. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcom from Lancashire. I lived in Northampton (Camp Hill) from 83 to 86. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Enjoy the site, it's one of the best on the web.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from down south.

Steve.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoy photography.

Jeff

11. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Jack. I think that you will like it here.

12. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    welcome, I was born and raised in Northampton, MA.

13. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all, each and every one, for a very warm welcome.
    Tlee: It's colour at the moment, though I have converted one or two colour images into B&W on Photoshop Elements.
    I'll be willing to experiment with anything once I feel comfortable with the camera, exposure, composition etc.
    Daventry & Camp Hill. What a small world, pentaxuser & Adrian.
    And I didn't know that there is a Northampton in Massachusetts

I hope to get to know many of you during the coming months.

Regards,
    Jack

14. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome from Montana Jack! The same thing that drew you here drew me here a month or so ago. I'm sure that you will learn a lot here. Everyone is so kind and patient with all of the newbie questions. I've also learned so much from reading past forum questions also. Great place for learning anything you want to know about analogue photography.
    Lori

15. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Jack ! Welcome from London UK... watch out ..there is an addictive side to the darkside... soon you could find yourself lurking into darkroom set ups !.
    It does take time to find one's way around the forums. You may have noticed that there is a UK forum http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/ for more localized information as we are a worldwide community. Also, keep an eye on the get togethers which is a great way to meet like minded people, see some printed photographs, chew some fat, see the nice parts of the country, and take photographs !
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/57061-uk-2009-spring-meet-april-25-26-west-cornwall.html

Anyway, welcome aboard !

Delphine

16. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you Lori. I have been amazed how friendly contributors are, already. I look forward to becoming part of the community of photographers. And Delphine, I've never been in a darkroom in my life. So that would certainly be a first. Because my balance is affected & I am now consequently so clumsy, I'm not at all sure that anyone would appreciate having me in their darkroom. :smile:
    I hadn't noticed that there is a UK forum, but have now bookmarked both of the links that you provided. Thank you.

Regards,
    Jack

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard Jack, all the way from SO-CAL. Mike C

18. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They'd probably offer you a seat :wink: there is usually one darkrooms :D