Hello from Philly

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by winclk, Nov 28, 2012.

1. winclk

winclk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in Philadelphia Pa. I am the owner of a Nikon D800. I have never used film since I just got into photography when the digital era started.

I am looking for a Nikon film camera and was directed to this site from PlanetNikon to ask questions and read the posts and learn all that I can about shooting with film.

I am not really interested in developing my own film but I would like to be able to print my own photos. I enjoy photographing landscapes, macro and abstracts.

Robin

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look up KEH used cameras. Go to your local library and look it up. BTW welcome to APUG!

Jeff

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Robin. The Nikon F100 is a well-regarded film camera. I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

5. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome! I second the suggestion of an F-100; it will work with all of your (non DX) Nikon DSLR lenses, has a feel comparable to modern DSLR's, and are readily available in the $200 range. Also, if you're in Philly, the Calumet has a great film selection in stock to choose from. I will make the suggestion of having your film developed at a quality lab, not the local 1 hour.

-Pete

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nikon F-100 is probably the best 35mm SLR that Nikon made. I have one that I use for black & white photography and as a spot meter with a 28mm to 200mm Nikon zoom lens when I need one for the Hasselblad or one of my 4"x5" cameras.

7. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would go with an F100 or F5. If money is no object, the F6 is a fantastic film body, I can't say enough good things about it.

Processing your own film is so easy, there's no reason you shouldn't do it. It'll save you a lot of money, give you a LOT more control over your process, and if you're going to be setting up a darkroom anyway, its a bit of a no-brainer.

8. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! Developing film is not hard. At least give it a few tries before you discount it. Film is a lot of fun. :smile:

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Robin and welcome to APUG.