Hello from Plymouth, England

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by leetastic, Mar 1, 2011.

1. leetastic

leetastic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all,

I'm a photography student at the University of Plymouth, and all I use is film, both medium format and 35mm. I have also recently taken part in a project where I've used 5x4 as well, which was a great experience.

I stumbled upon this website while I was doing some research for an essay I have to do, primarily trying to find out about the decline of film photography in comparison to the new and relevant digital age. I was amazed at the incredible amount of information available on this site, not only about using film, but a variety of different darkroom techniques which is something I find very useful. Particularly as I use both Black and White and Colour darkrooms.

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, allow me to welcome you to our environs.

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western New England.

4. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi from just over the road in the Babbage Building! (Presumably you're in Scott?)
    Steve

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While commercial and especially industrial demand may have significantly declined; there is still a strong case for photographic film and paper. With particular regard to printing in the darkroom, the process of working with materials directly can form a real connection to what one is doing; not so possible when using a near 100% abstracted workflow of digital camera - computer - inkjet output. However, hybrids of digital and analogue can be very viable in certain situations, more of which can be discussed on www.dpug.org

Returning to 'the decline of the darkroom', I'd be willing to conjecture that statement can be used as a self-serving mantra to justify silly decisions such as colleges closing down darkrooms because "digital is the future" without due recourse to logic.

Tom

Tom

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

7. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug.
    No decline here.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! There is no decline here.

Jeff

9. leetastic

leetastic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve, Yeah I am based in Scott building, its a small world on the internet

10. leetastic

leetastic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply Tom, it really is an interesting aspect the way that a lot of Colleges and Universities are just removing the analogue aspect to photography, but as I see, without having started using Film, I don't think I'd understand any where near any of the technical aspects of photography that I know and love today.

By simply starting with the fundamental principles of photography, it can always lay down a fantastic ground work for fully understanding how a camera works. With todays digital era, alot of people simply rely on automatic mode, which for me as a practical photography is really disheartening that people just point and click their camera and they believe that their final image is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry if this has turned in to a bit of a rant, but its always good to be in contact with like-minded film users who seem to share the same passion as myself

11. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG from Dorset!

12. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. Many of the concepts behind how we work in Photoshop are directly related to darkroom techniques, especially areas such as curves and masking. If you are not already in possession of a copy, I'd thoroughly recommend the 2nd edition of 'Way Beyond Monochrome':
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-Beyond-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299114027&sr=8-1

Tom

13. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no decline with film here. I give the security folks at my office a heart attack every time I enter the office because of the camera bag I carry. They hate searching it.