Hello from São Paulo, Brazil!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by josé luís silva, Oct 6, 2012.

1. josé luís silva

josé luís silva Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello everyone,

I am 43 years old and live in São Paulo, Brazil. Since I was a teenager I devoted myself to the study of philosophy and literature, but always dreaming about doing some form of art. Six years ago, I decided that the time had come, and started photographing with a Canon Rebel camera. It was a turning point in my life. Three months later, I started using 35mm films and left behind all my academic activities to dedicate myself to artistic photography only. Very rapidly, I moved from 35mm to MF and then to LF. Nowadays, I use only 4x5” and 8x10” B&W films. I have a Linhof Technika V and a Deardorff v8, besides some Zeiss and Schneider lenses. I still have my Hassel but I’m planning to sell it since I do not use it anymore. My Leica cameras and lenses I sold some years ago. I process my films in a Jobo ATL-2000, mainly with Rodinal (in fact, R09 and Adonal). I’m now using Adox films. I don’t do traditional prints. My images are scanned in an Itek Drum Scanner and printed in an Epson 3800 printer, after some PS. Last year, I did my first photo exhibition. It was in Helsinki, Finland, with my friend Jukka Pääkkönen. Some weeks ago, I was also contemplated with a Merit Award in the B&W Magazine 2012 Black and White Portfolio Contest. My photographic work can be seen here:www.joseluissilva.fot.br . I could say without much fear of mistake, what I mean by artistic photography is what Edward Weston did. I still use to read a lot, but my main activity today is photography. I hope to use this space for sharing information and experiences. Thank you all!

Cheers,
    José Luís

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    José:

Welcome to APUG!

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug and good luck with your photography

4. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome, José. I'm sure you will feel at home here on APUG. I had a look at your website and really like some of your photographs.

Andrew

5. liquid695

liquid695 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice portfolio, welcome!!

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Architecture , Nature and Brazil , thats all go hand in hand. I really loved big format cadrage and the white or unpainted concrete. Massive concrete structures and use of them is a pure art at France , Italy , India and Brazil. You can get more tonality and richness character if you print your pictures chemically. Some grain , detail and tonality are needed at some pictures and that is my selection. Some portraits and some over midtone tonality pictures are more successful. All pictures are very sharp and there is no out of focus or disturbing areas. Adox and Rodinal gives white on the final image , lots of it.
    Darker images are punchier but some goes to muddier. May be your way is better than my mind picture. I am thinking to build myself an scanner linear array 24 bit back big format camera. after seeing your pictures , I thinked I need it more than ever. Color pictures are excellent and I did never reach to that sharpness and quality with my cameras.

Thank you joining APUG , perspective pictures , portraits , architecture are excellent. Color ones are perfect. You deserve more medals. I think you will find more images at Olympiads and Football Cup.

What is your color film ?

Best,
    Umut
    Istanbul

7. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home José Luís !

Ron

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG!

Jeff

9. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG.

10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, José.

11. josé luís silva

josé luís silva Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello and thank you all!

Umut,

Yes, the concrete is indeed quite present in Brazilian modern architecture, and can be seen everywhere here, in homes, buildings, museums, universities. The building in the photo is part of a cultural center built on old industrial warehouses.

I just finished a workflow that goes from the large negatives to the printer, but am already planning on manual processing and contact printing. It's a joy to have these two worlds.

The scanner is actually able to do a very good read of the colors present in the negative, and indeed provides very sharp images. The process is very labor intensive, but I think it's worth it.

The last 16 images in my page are digital (mainly m8), the other 4 color images were taken with Fuji 160s (sítio, ccsp) and Provia (poça, Cláudia).

Thanks! Best,
    José Luís