Hello from Southern New Jersey

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by medformatjunkie, Sep 14, 2005.

1. medformatjunkie

medformatjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hello all,
    Name is Scott, new member from New Jersey right across the Delaware river from Philadelphia. I'm 44, married with one boy, aged 13. Been interested in photography since high school when a relative gave me his complete darkroom setup. Messed around with black and white taking pictures with a Pentax K-1000. Joined the Air Force and while in there took a course with the New York Institute of Photography. After the Air Force I got a job as a freelance photojournalist doing mostly high school sports and occasional public interest stories.
    Got out of the business and hobby for quite a while until now. Getting my feet wet now with medium format. I have a Bronica SQ-Ai system and a old Yashica 124-G TLR. Don't have room yet for a darkroom but I'll soon be moving and it won't be long then.
    Looking forward to being a part of this forum and APUG! Would love to hear from other enthusiasts from the phila, South new jersey area!

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Scott from the other side of the country, Hawaii. Don't worry there are several people here from your area of the country.

3. wbryant

wbryant Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from North Jersey, but I spend most of my weekends skydiving in Williamstown. Don't have a darkroom yet??? just head over to The darkroom studios in merchantville. great place, and I am sure Brad will chime in soon on this thread.

4. medformatjunkie

medformatjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    You know? Funny you should mention The Darkroom Studios. I had just found them yesterday through a link here. Didn't even know they existed. You can bet your bippy I'm gonna check them out!!

5. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Brad won't chime in, I certainly will....

By all means, get thyself to Merchantville! Brad has a great setup over there!

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard Scott, from the other side of the Atlantic, I too am a roll film enthusiast, I hope you enjoy Apug as much as I do.

7. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Scott,

Welcome, there are a number of us from the South Jersey area and a few from Philadelphia.

8. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome!

Scott,

I now live in Massachusetts but basically grew up in Pennsauken. (Finally
    left there to go to college about...um...38 years ago. Geez, saying 38 there actually physically hurt....:-(...)

APUG is a good community. Have already met a few APUGers here in the North East, and they were very interesting people....

Beside large format I shoot an old Pentax 6x7 (ever see a small dog jump when that shutter goes off?) and did a lot of 6x9 with a roll film adaptor on a 4x5.....

Good light to you....

Cheers, Bill

9. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Scott: Nice to see you here. Be sure and keep us posted on your darkroom setting up adventures.

Barry Young

10. stark raving

stark raving Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Scott,

Hello from Lumberton (next to Mount Holly). Probably pretty close to you, as I can be in Philly 1/2 hour after I leave the house..

Jonathan

11. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was about to mention darkroom studios as well and then I read the whole thread. As the manager of a community darkroom and photo school, I am amazed at the number of folks out there who don't know about the resources out there.

Hmmm, I think I am seeing an opportunity!

Welcome to APUG, you will find a wealth of information here and a lot of really great folks.

Paul.

12. medformatjunkie

medformatjunkie Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Well, thanks everyone for the great welcome! It's been a long time since I've been around the photography hobby, I forgot how nice everyone is! Glad to be back!

13. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Scott, welcome to APUG. Good luck on the darkroom setup journey.

I don't live in NJ, but I will be there next week for a week... Hope the weather is good :smile:

Glenn

14. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually live a bit of a distance (by NJ standards, 83 miles) from The Darkroom Studios and learned of Brad's operation from my friend Jon Cohen who reps photo lines. At the time, there was at least 3 photo shops in my area that carried a pretty good line of film, paper, and chemicals, so I never got around to making the road trip. I did Jon a favor a while back and picked him up at the Philly airport and he suggested we stop in at Brad's.

Damn, I'm glad we did! Not only does Brad have an outstanding facility, he also keeps a damn good stock of supplies in his store. As fate would have it, my more local sources of darkroom supplies have recently all bellied up, so now the drive to Merchantville doesn't look to be as long as it used to! :smile:

I should also mention... Not only is Brad a great guy, he's also a class A nut-job! :smile:

15. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh boy... I should have come in here sooner. Oi. Pot calling kettle black eh Mr Fowler?

Anyway, welcome to Apug from Brad (no shameless plug needed, they all did it for me!). This certainly is a great resource for new, old and new-from-old photo folks anywhere. Sounds like maybe we need to organize a Philly/Camden adventure - can't them North Joisey Shore Boys have all the fun around here :wink:

16. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hehehehehe

That would be me alright...

hehehe

17. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From North Jersey; Hey, how ya do'in. Sometimes the NY/NJ Apug'ers get together. Maybe soon. Follow the NY regional thread.

18. R/D

R/D Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You guys can count me in from SJ as well as I am from Marlton. Luckily I am only about 15 mins from the Dark Room Studios and just finished an awesome darkroom class with Brad. In the next few weeks I should be making my first "real" MF exposures so it's all very exciting. Oh, and I can vouch for the fact that Brad is a nut. :wink:

19. asp.artist

asp.artist Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi, welcome. I'm from Phila. Sorry to say I never met Brad. But I do shoot with a Yashica D and a Bronica SQa. And some pinholes on the side. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
    Anne

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I grew up in Toms River, NJ. I also use roll film. Rolleiflex and Mamiya RB 67.

Jeff

21. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not. Hello from Delaware to this old post. Happy trails.

22. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome, Scott. As a kid just out of college, I did children's home portraits all over south Jersey. I think the company was based in Haddon Heights. I lived in Brigantine at the time. I sure hope you are a Phillies fan. I am; and have been since 1954.

23. youngphotofreak94

youngphotofreak94 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hey,
    i guess welcome from northern jersey
    and about how far away is the darkroom studios from maplewood, nj??
    anna