Hello from Thailand

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by guopai, Jun 13, 2012.

1. guopai

guopai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,

I have been photographing b&w on films for almost a year. My father was a semi-pro doing hand-colouring on b&w prints. When he passed away several years ago I inherited all of his cameras and darkroom equipments. However it took me some time to start doing film photography just because I thought traditional photography is tedious and expensive. Yes it might be a bit costly, but I love every moment from picture taking to developing to printing. With b&w film I create the kind of pictures that I really love - which could not have been made with digital photography.

I'm still in the experiment phase, playing with Leicas, Zorki, Nikons, and old Pentax. I also love the detail and smoothness of medium format film from my Rolleiflex. For the films I mainly use Tri-X and HP5+. Developer used to be D-76 but recently moved to Ilfotec HC just because D-76 was not available at the moment. I used to try traditional darkroom print and love it, but there is not much paper choices and they are expensive, plus I often get sick by darkroom odour which is a great source of concern for my wife. Hence for now I am content with hybrid workflow using a camera scan technique which yield better result that flatbed scanning.

As for the subject matter I tend to photograph nature and portraiture. I only photograph things that I like - something that impress me positively. You can see some of my photos in my Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/105042106999818885336

Chitpong

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Chitpong. Glad to see and hear that someone is keeping up traditional techniques in Thailand.

3. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the forum Chitpong. :smile: Enjoy your stay. Sounds like you have an interesting history with film.

4. guopai

guopai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually yes. My dad used T-MAX 400 extensively. However as a child I was so impressed with some of his photos that used Tri-X and HP5+. These two films look more real, more pleasant to me.

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hell Chitpong and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Welcome to APUG , writing from Istanbul. I am agree with you, I believe and sure that TriX is better film than Tmax. Its good to know you made a step and using HC110 now. That is one of the best developer you can buy. I read You have Leicas , thats excellent , many forum members are craving for a Leica , they buy it and force to sell later because their all money gone to Leica.
    I agree , Rolleiflex and Zeiss is so smooth sometimes that I dont like. If you decide to sell some cameras , keep Leicas at your hand , you will never be able to buy them again , their prices are so high and quality there is no way to live without it.

What about the Leicas , what have you got ?

Best ,
    Umut

7. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Chitpong !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

8. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chitpong - hello and welcome to APUG!! :D

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sawadee krup and welcome!

Barry

10. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Chitpong!

11. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sawadee ka, Chitpong.

Great to see another APUGer in Thailand - welcome!!

12. guopai

guopai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They are a black M6 TTL and a chrome MP. Lens are Elmarit 21, Summicron 35 ASPH., Summilux 50, and Apo-Summicron 90 ASPH. All of them is marvelous, although the MP is not in good shape. I remember my dad told me it was once dropped on the floor (presumably by the previous owner). That made the advance lever a bit stiff. Otherwise the MP feels very solid and almost magical. I then got interested in LTM Leicas but due to the cost end up buying a Zorki-1 which is a Leica II clone. I love the simplicity and compactness of the old design, even better than the M.

13. guopai

guopai Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sawasdee krub!

14. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Chitpong, welcome to APUG.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber