Hello from the Great White North!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by h.v., Dec 5, 2011.

1. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello, APUG!

This past summer, I stumbled back into the world of analogue photography, after having wanted to go back to it since about 2009. I quit shooting film in 2004 in lieu of digital. Now, I should probably let you know I've been lurking behind the scenes on APUG for about a month or so, and I've read so much and learned so much already from this website. One thing that seems common on here is people shoot film until switching to digital for whatever reason for anywhere from 6 months to an entire decade but be seemingly unsatisfied with digital and decide to move back to film. Well, that isn't the case with me. No, rather, I just liked the vintage look of certain films and cameras and thought it would be neat for a special "look" once in a while. I was actually quite pleased with my digital results.

I guess, though, as many things in life, things didn't go as expected with film. Initially, I only had an old Canon A35F Rangefinder and Fuji Superia film. Mix that with a low quality lab, and my shots came out less than stellar. Then I inherited an old Canon point and shoot from 1988 (which I have yet to use, hehe). Then a couple months ago, I got myself a proper film camera (in my mind), a Nikon F80 for an excellent deal, considering it's great condition. Now, I could use my Nikon lenses! I started trying different films and found a higher quality lab and now, looking back at the digital photographs I have amassed over the years, 85% of them that I thought were great before have lost their luster. I am really realizing the truer rendition of colour, tones, highlights, etc. in film as well as not wanting to waste frames (and by extension, money) means that I try that much harder to get an excellent shot and my photography has improved overall. My photos aren't so over the top contrasty with film, I love that! I just love the look and resolution of film and the overall workflow and how much better attention I take to detail when out shooting and oh, I could go on.

I am now becoming ever so much more frustrated with digital photos I take. I don't get it. I see most of the world's good photographers (amateur or pro; known or unknown) still take exceptional photos digitally. I mean, film photos are equally as exceptional, just in different ways. I'm clearly missing something because I too should be able to attain those results with digital. Maybe film just works better for me personally?

What's next? I shall be obtaining a Nikon FG very quickly and shall thus learn more about manual focus photography (which I only did for a few months with my first dSLR, and I'm sure manual focus works better on a manual focus camera). After that, hopefully a medium format, either a TLR or non-clunky 120 SLR. Maybe I can finally try out those more vintage looks with the Nikon FG?

Also, despite my frustrations with digital, like I said, there is a lot of fantastic digital work out there. Because I regularly work with the format (though much less so now than a few months ago) I see a lot of hate and misconceptions directed at the format on APUG, and it leads me to almost want to defend it. Digital is not the antichrist :smile:. I also find it a bit strange that scanners aren't supposed to be discussed here, I mean, yes, it connects to a computer and is for creating computer files of your analog photos, but it still deals directly with analogue photography. I guess I can understand a bit as you guys probably want to keep this site as traditional as possible, but it is still strange nonetheless.

I mostly do urban photography, consisting of street and architectural photography, but I also love doing portraits, landscapes, plants, as well as new concepts to allow me to grow as a photographer.

Oh, and I live in Edmonton.

2. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello,

Welcome to APUG. You are about 800 miles south of me by car, a little less when the winter road opens through Fort Chipewyan and Fort McMurray.

Cheers,
    Clarence in Fort Smith, NT

3. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am still please with digital also and it pays all the bills... B+W film on the otherhand and the resolution, contrastyness, etc, and the wet print, can't be quite duplicated (to me) in the digital relm.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

And as far as being from Edmonton ..... at least it isn't Toronto :whistling:

As for scanning and other digital issues, it isn't that they aren't something worth discussing, it is that it works better for APUG not to discuss them here.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

6. Plate Voltage

Plate Voltage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or British Columbia where everybody drives into Alberta to escape sales tax. :whistling:

7. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from a former Calgarian! (although admittedly it's been a while).

8. Miskuss

Miskuss Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome from a proud Torontonian and I don't care who hates that :laugh: now I'm in the Medicine Hat area :confused:

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Confession: I was born in Toronto:whistling:

10. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home H.V. !

Ron

11. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for the warm welcome. Surprised at the number of Western Canadians on here. And there is nothing wrong with Toronto :smile:.

12. Miskuss

Miskuss Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a great town, and I know you were just ribbing Hog Town, everyone does it. :D

13. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was born in Edmonton left there 20ish years ago. Only go back for brief family visits in the SUMMER. Welcome to APUG none the less. Very informative group of film users here. ANY question about the subject can be answered here eventually :whistling: :D :D :cool:

14. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome from Cowtown. If you ever get a day parole from Edmonton come on down and lets have coffee.

15. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nothing wrong with Toronto, just those who come from there. Hello from a former Edmontonian and now Medicine Hatter, hence my reference to those who hail from Toronto (and now live near Medicine Hat :smile: ).

It was in Edmonton I became a photographer and we spend many hours walking the alleys of downtown as well as the ravines.

16. Miskuss

Miskuss Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    May the warm pungent winds of Brooks flow past your home REdRouckCoulee :whistling:

17. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing to do with the sales tax. We have to escape to Alberta to leave room for the Albertans coming to B.C. to buy land and practice their driving :D.

18. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Remember that your house is between mine and Lakeside Packers.

To OP: you might also want to visit drug.org which used to be hybridphoto for scanning etc. I have not visited it for a long time but it was I believe orginally an offshoot of APUG so that digital and digital/analogue threads would have a home.

19. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think that's dpug.org

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoy being here.

Jeff

21. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

22. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Point Pelee.

23. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG! :D

24. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome from South of the Border - Illinois to be exact.

ME Super