Hello from the Wild Mid-west, land of crazy weather!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by ME Super, Apr 22, 2011.

1. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone,
    I've been lurking for a couple months now, and finally decided to register and post. My first camera, back in the '70s was a Kodak Instamatic. My parents gave it to me but the flash no longer worked (it used flash cubes) so I could only use it for outdoor photos. Mom and Dad shot slide film, so I did too.

In the mid '80s I got a CHEAP 35mm (think along the lines of a Holga). IN '88 I moved up to a Pentax ME Super. Wonderful SLR. Picked up a P30T in the mid 90's to use as a second body for B&W.

In 2001 I went over to the numeric, filmless side of photography. Stayed there for 10 years. Got a scanner for Christmas to digitize my old photos. As I was going through the file cabinet looking for a specific set of pictures to scan, my son (who is a big Penguins of Madagascar fan, but I digress) walked in and saw some slides in sleeves. His eyes got big and he said with wonder, "Dad, what are these?" I told him what they were and he said "Can we look at them?" I said sure, if my slide projector (which was still in the garage) still worked we would have a slide show that night. Went and got the slide projector which hadn't been used in 12 years out, and it still worked!

That night my nephew happened to come over and we looked at my pictures of Yellowstone projected 2' x 3' on the wall. My nephew told me "These look better than Digital." I still knew where my P30T was so got it out (the 35-70mm zoom that was attached to it doesn't stop down any more but the 50mm prime lens and the 500mm cat lens still work) and ran a roll of film through it. It still worked, so here I am. Looking forward to finishing off my first roll of slide film in 10 years and projecting them on the wall in a darkened room.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoy being here!

Jeff

3. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home ME Super !

Ron

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to the family. My kids get a kick out of shooting slides and putting on an old fashioned show when they get new ones back from the lab.

5. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great story, welcome back, and welcome to APUG!

6. A Sabai

A Sabai Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome.

We are having some crazy weather!

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome home.

8. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello ME... welcome to APUG from another ME Super user.

10. Mardjsp

Mardjsp Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Salon de coiffure

Salut à vous tous ,

Pour commencer , donnez-moi la possibilité de vous démontrer mon appréciation pour chacune des super informations que j'ai retrouvées sur cet imposant site web .

Je ne suis pas assuree d'être au bon section mais je n'en ai pas trouvé de meilleur.

J'habite à Ross , ca . J'ai 35 années et j'ai deux très gentils enfants qui sont tous âgés entre cinq et 12 années (1 est adoptée ). J'aime particulièrement beaucoup les animaux et je tempte de leur donner les articles qui leur rendent l'existance plus festive .

Merci d'avance pour toutes les super délibérations dans le futur et je vous remercie de votre compréhension pour mon français moins qu'idéal : ma langue maternelle est l'espagnol et je fais de mon mieux d'apprendre mais c'est très ardu !

Bye bye

Arthru

11. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

Welcome from SW Illinois (Good Friday Tornado Alley??), ME Super, et bienvenue aussi, Arthru (Arthur??).

12. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank-you all for your warm welcome. We had a family Easter Egg hunt a day early because the weather was nice and family was able to come over today to enjoy the nice weather, which was a welcome change.

Finished up the roll of Sensia I got from the camera store about a month back. It was kind of expensive so I think I will order my next film from Adorama (they have 5 rolls of Velvia 100 for $29.95 with free shipping) but will try to find someone local to do the developing. There's a place about 1/2 hour from my house that does developing (actually their lab is in the Quad Cities but you can drop off film at the store close to my house and they will send it to their other store for processing). Gotta support our local labs that process E-6!

13. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Slides are wonderful , You will like very much what your Velvias would give. And its time to buy a analog camera to your son also. If you are not happy with your lab as I do not , You can send it to Europe , US or whereever you want. Please share your pictures with us . You have a big tele and it would be great to shoot passing ships and boats also bird watching. Velvia is exactly the good choice , for another batch , try Ektachrome 100 vs , another dense colors slide film and different taste.
    But I think velvias low asa setting , your tele lens aperture and the need of using high speed for sharp pictures could carry you to higher asa slide films. So time to ask another question on availability of high speed color slide films.

Welcome to the big family ,

Best

Umut
    Istanbul