Hello from Virginia, USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by jsfyfe, Apr 13, 2007.

1. jsfyfe

jsfyfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    First of all let me say that I'm so glad that I found this place. Maybe I didn't look hard enough, but all I could find in my search for a place to share my love of traditional photography, processes, and images were the 'mutual admiration society' photography sites (to remain unnamed here) where every picture was 'great' and people wanted to know what digital camera to buy so they could 'shoot 1000's of pictures for free'.

Anyway, I've been here for a few days, posted a few of my photographs, received a very nice welcome, and already received some very helpful suggestions on how to improve my images.

Photography has been a very important part of my life for the past 40+ years. I love seeing a good photograph and enjoy the photographic process. I also like to listen to others who have a passion for photography. I think I've made a few very good images over the years but have not really produced anything that I would call excellent for the past 15 years or so. I recently began looking back at all of my work and have again become excited about sharing what I've done and what I know.

My goal now is to rekindle the passion for photography that I had when I was younger..........a difficult but achievable task.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, from a Washingtonian! We've got a good little APUG real-life chapter going here in the metro area, and if you're interested, you're welcome to join!

3. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG.

4. jsfyfe

jsfyfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I certainly would like to join the Washington group. I live near Warrenton, VA and think it would be great to get together with everyone. Let me know the details. Thanks.

5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from the other Washington.

Bob

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG from NYC.

7. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from a former Arlingtonian, and now a Marylandtonian. Grin.

8. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from New England....

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome from Hawaii ..... yes, some people here still shoot film.

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    always please to see more interest.

And don't worry about the 'make a great photo club' here. I have been here for almost 2 years, and have yet to post one. A scanner is coming up the wanted list, but has not made it to the top yet.

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group. We hope you'll enjoy your stay.

12. Doyle Thomas

Doyle Thomas Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from the other Washington in the Pacific North West!

13. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Canada

14. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings from Central Virginia

15. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from England.
    BTW, I hope to visit Virginia soon as my sister has recently moved there. Any landscape location tips? :smile:
    Tim

16. maxbloom

maxbloom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The James River

17. jsfyfe

jsfyfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Landscapes in Virigina

Tim,

I live in the greater suburbs of Washington, D.C. and there are not a lot of landscape opportunities nearby except for housing developments and golf courses. The Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway run the length of the Shenandoah mountains and provide some of the best opportunities for large vistas (there are even parking areas at 'scenic' overlooks). Virginia is very forested an crowded with trees and it is difficult to find open space that lends itself to good landscape photos (the trees get in the way). The open farmland in northern VA is a possible candidate as are the smaller towns that are found on the back roads. You pretty much have to be adventurous and wander the back roads hoping that you will stumble upon something photo worthy.

John

18. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks John,
    My sister is somewhat in the sticks from what I gather, so that is where I would start. Trees are just fine with me! My preference indeed to the Grand Vista. I am thinking of making my way from there up the Appalachian mountains (I have read Bill Bryson!) and on maybe to Maine.
    Tim

19. jsfyfe

jsfyfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

If you get to the Northern Virginia area try to visit Alexandria. It's a very nice town on the Potomac Rivier with a lot of photographic possibilities. Also be sure to make time to visit our local artists at the Torpedo factory:

http://www.torpedofactory.org/

Cheers.

20. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim- if you're at all a fan of American history, within a reasonable drive of the DC metro area are a number of Civil War battlefields that have been preserved as open spaces. Antietam is in wonderful rolling countryside, and just over the Potomac river is lovely Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Take a bit of time to visit the C&O Canal, which runs along the Potomac on the Maryland side, and go to Great Falls to see the falls, on both Maryland and Virginia sides of the river if you have the chance. Up in Pennsylvania, there is Gettysburg and the surrounding countryside. Over in West Virginia, there is the Dolly Sods wilderness area which looks like an alien landscape more expected in the high California Sierra than on the east coast.

21. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well thanks for all those pointers. She lives in West Virginia in the country somwhere, I haven't visited since she only recently moved from CA, so I'm looking forward to exploring new territory.
    Tim