Hello from Wilmette

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Richard Wasserman, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Everybody,
    I thought it was time for me to come out of hiding and introduce myself. I live in Wilmette, Illinois which is just north of Chicago on Lake Michigan. I am 53 and have been photographing since I was a kid- I made my first darkroom when I was 13 in a closet in the basement. Today I primarily shoot 4x5 with some 6x6 and 35mm for fun. I use a Sinar Norma with assorted lenses from 110mm to 450mm, and FP4 exclusively (in 4x5). I have been photographing the Chicago River for about 4 years and somewhat to my surprise this is turning into a real project. My intent is to shoot the river over its entire length, about 35 miles. It starts in a fairly bucolic setting and then runs through suburbs before getting to the city itself, where it goes through the heart of downtown and then through heavily industrialized areas. I am currently in the process of printing about 75 images in preparation for applying for grants and to submit for publication. It will be interesting to see where all this leads.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and thank you for being here. This is a great resource!

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome from Hawaii. It sounds like you have a really interesting project that you are working on. I would like to hear more about it, as well as seeing some of the images that result.

3. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welome aboard! We have a few APUG folks right over the state line in the Kenosha area. Check the regional focus group from WI periodically as we will be doing another outing I'm sure before Christmas and would love to have you!

Mike

4. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    greeting from accross the pond :smile:

5. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey!!!!! Native!!!! I moved from Chicago to Evanston before I left for the sunshine state!

:smile:

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

6. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ex-Neighbor

I am an Ex Evanstonian. Attended ETHS and we were probably rivals at some point. Welcome to APUG; I hail now from Minneapolis, MN

7. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! Like Mike said, we'd love to have you join us at a future outing!

Sounds like an interesting project! Looking forward to seeing some pics! Will you be doing any sort of historical text with it?

8. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Where in Wilmette do you live? My whole family is from the North Shore. My Dad grew up on Central Avenue in Wilmette, about two blocks down from the Ba'hai Temple.

9. freebern

freebern Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi.
    I'm really delighted to have discovered APUG, a fine very well designed service. Can someone steer me to the creation story?.

I'm 75. My wife and I live on the Mendocino coast some 150 miles north of San Francisco, the latter being visited often as our children live in the Bay Area.
    When a young boy my father gave me an old camera that used glass plates for negatives. Therefore the need to put together a darkroom while a teenager. Father and I would often venture forth to remote spots to photograph the trains that made their way from Boston to NY.
    My mature years were connected with Accelerator Physics with many weekends in the California High Sierras with a 35mm Leica.
    And so now in retirement, I enjoy photographing with the Mamiya 6, mostly in b&w with a wet darkroom.
    I will be sending up some photos once I figure out what is the best way.
    I'd be grateful for any tips as to how best to do same. I do have Photoshop Elements and a 2¼x2¼ scanner but am not yet skilled with the exporting.
    Thank you all, Freebern

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Freebern, from your neighbor to the west, in sunny Hawaii.

11. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to both disfromage and freebern from Sydney Autralia.

Sorry we were never neighbours as many on this thread seem to be ;-) What a small world it is sometimes.

I'd love to win the lottery so I could pay off my mortgage and then set out to do a big project..... Colour me envious...

12. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome! I'm amazed at how many people used to live near me. You didn't all leave when I moved in, did you? Was it something I did? I am planning on getting a scanner so I can post some photos. Can anyone recommend one that will handle 11x14 prints at a reasonable price? I'd consider just scanning negatives, but I put a lot of work into the prints and would rather show the finished product.

Mike and BWGirl-I will keep an eye on your activities in Wisconsin. I would like very much to join you if I can. Kenosha is not very far from me, and it would be fun to get together with you either to shoot, look at photos, or whatever.

Richard Wasserman