Hello, I'm new

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Franswa, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To pinhole photography.

I've got a 4x5 pinhole coming my way and I think I'd like to try and make some images on WPPD!

I've searched online and there seems to be lots and lots of information on these things, but I wanted to see if maybe you all had some suggestions for resources.

I am relatively new to film as well, so I don't have a darkroom and don't do my own developing. What type and or brand or film should I use? Is there one that performs better than the other for this type of shooting?

Any other good tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mostly use paper for negatives with my pinhole cameras. Its easier to deal with printing paper than film, you can develope by inspection under safelight, then scan or contact print for positive image.

3. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Depends on how you want to expose the film. Do you prefer slower speeds so your pinhole will be a minimal of 1 sec on a sunny day? Or do you want shorter? I ask, because as I've learned, exposing by hand....literally using my hand as a shutter...is tough with higher speed films.

4. Ric Johnson

Ric Johnson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is not a wrong film, high ASA or low ASA (ISO) will set the exposure time but really that's all. I shoot 100 or 400 ASA all the time. Make sure you use www.f295.org for your research, it is (in my humble opinion) the greatest pinhole (lensless) website.

5. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Rick said. Start off with paper and you don't need a darkroom just a fairly dark bathroom with a safe light and some chemicals in trays. Your exposure times will be a bit longer than for film but it is cheaper and easier than film.

Remember to have fun.

6. Franswa

Franswa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It appears as if I have some decisions to make and some research to do. When you mention paper for negatives...is there a particular brand or name? See? That's how oblivious I am to this stuff. I'm definitely interested in a easier and more cost effective approach to start things off with. Many thanks!

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

8. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you're just starting out and wanting to experiment then I'd go with a cheaper RC paper such as the Arista brand or another brand that is on the cheaper side. I think Arista is the cheapest though. Since you're not using the paper for regular printing, then it's not necessary that it be an expensive paper with an amazing tonal range. All paper negatives no matter what brand are going to be high in contrast, but once you get into it more then you will figure out that there are definitely ways to control that.

9. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any more sites for beginning pinhole cameras?

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to check out f295.org, its all about pinhole photography.

11. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't know about pinhole photography? How about this website about this website!

Jeff

13. medium120

medium120 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hi i am new too

just made my own with aluminium can + paper folding thing...
    used ISO400 kodak negative film

by trial and error.... my pinhole pointing towards the sun = 1 second...
    so it is like... approximately 14 stops under 4/f (smena 8M towards sun = 1/250 + 16mm)
    would like to share some images but no links are allowed coz i am new here :sad:

good luck :smile:

14. aaronmichael

aaronmichael Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You should be able to attach an image to your post or if you have a flickr account, you can link to that. Shouldn't be a reason why you can't share your images.

15. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As part of APUG's new anti-spam efforts, new members are blocked from posting links until they have made a thresh-hold number of posts (5?).