Hello New England...Maine calling...

Discussion in 'New England' started by Voyager, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just joined for a year after a 3-month trial. I was heartened to see that APUG had 20,000 subscribers, and I'm hoping the film and chemical makers are taking note (especially Ilford). The constant battering of this digital thing is rather vexing, though it's becoming less so as I more and more appreciate the beauty of b&w film. I just hung (hanged?) 13 photos at the local library, and the delicious richness of the b&w tones is just plain unmatched.

Been using a variety of cameras ranging from a Rollei 35s to a Rolleiflex TLR and FM3a, but sold them all for a Hasselblad 2000 kit, considering it my "walk around large format". The negatives are spectacular, and it is truly a pleasure to search out a subject worth spending time on, set up the gear, contemplate the composition, consider the settings, and finally expose the negative. What a joy, yes?

Anyway, I note that New England has the highest replys/ views of all the regionals, so I hope to see more NE info--meetings, meetups, exhibits, calls for work...and I'll kick in whatever I can.

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from north central MA! We have a pretty good group that gets together on a semi-regular basis. Hope you'll join us the next time we get together.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from southwestern NH

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey! Welcome from the west-of-Boston area. I'm CT/VT/CT/NH/MA, but here for the last 30 years.Great group in the NE area. Come to one of the gatherings sometime if you ever come down south from God's Country.

5. Nick Kintgios

Nick Kintgios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from western MA. I recently subcribed to apug after attending a photo shoot at the Quabbin. The photo shoot was emotionally uplifting. It was wonderful to be around a group of photographers who have not been tarnished by the digital world and just enjoyed each others company during the days activities. Help!!!! I recently developed a roll of Tmax 100 developed in HC110 as part of a Zone system test and the edges of the negatives have a pinkish hue. Is that normal for tmax???????

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Nick;
    Not unusual, Tmax seems to have a lot of dye in it. Most of it should come out in the fix or wash. But if you fixed and washed adequately, what remains is not supposed to cause problems, according to the great yellow father.

7. bill h

bill h Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Plymouth MA and sometimes Turner, Maine.

Bill h

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Maggie Thatcher's (now Blairite) "New" England, Bristol's a fine City and was a major port, it connected the area I live in by river with the new world, we shipped seed grain, chains, pottery and glassware to let you buy a little luxury :smile:

Ian

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Vincent from Springfield, MA. We do have a pretty good group here. Hope to meet up with you at the next get together.

Speaking of which... anybody got an idea for the nest shoot... what's your favorite photogy spot? Let's give Vincent a reason to meet us all! :D

gene

10. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Southeastern MA Lets see...are there any good places to shoot up in Maine?

drew

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi vincent
    from south of prov. ri.

welcome :smile:

john

12. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from southern MA (though soon to be PA). Believe me, I'll miss hanging out and shooting wiht the NE-APUGers.

13. Leica_girl58

Leica_girl58 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello from another brand new..new englander.

It was great to discover this forum and can't wait to meet everyone too.

Maine is a wonderful place to photograph. Heading to Monhegan Island in 2 weeks for a few days. :smile:
    darlene

14. Nick Kintgios

Nick Kintgios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Question for western mass apugers. I am looking for an old abandon structure for a glamour photo shoot. Of the beaten track for privacy would be ideal. Any ideas! The old building that we used at the Quabbin for the last field trip was an interesting location. Also trying to find a location where a model will not be eaten by flying criters. Hey Papagene, because you are the Quabbin expert are there any other old stuctures up there that do not require a long hike? bdial thanks for the tmax info. I thought I was on a bad streak with film and developers. Ever since I went from Ilford FP4 to FP4plus the darkroom has not been a fun place. A Tmax neg from the last Quabbin trip viewed under the lupe looks like I am out of the doldrums. Hope springs eternal!

15. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from New Haven, CT. Hope to meet ya at the next meeting. Speaking of which, when is the next meeting? I do recall throwing New Haven into the hat ...

Regards, Art.

16. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome from Cumberland Maine!
    Great to find other Mainers in here!

Mark

17. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    all...many thanks for the warm welcome, and a few additional comments, please:

Hello Drew...I know you're funnin' me...of course there's plenty to photograph up here in the black-fly capital of the world, but the trick for us locals is to discover new angles of familiar themes...if I can ever figure out how to properly post a photograph, I'll try to show you what I mean...

Hello Ian...and in return, we shipped King George the finest masts and spars in the entire world...and we're proud to share your name...

Hello LeicaGirl...if this is your first Island visit: your most dramatic photos will probably be from the top of Monhegan clifs, a gentle walk from one side of the island to the other (so if you're treking gear, it won't be bad)...

all...I am surprised and pleased to find the NE-APUG is an actual group with occasional activities. I belong to a local photo club, and I pretty much handed in my walking papers last month--when the emphasis shifts from photography skills to Photoshop skills, it's time for me and Ansel to go it alone...

last word to all...if you're headed for mid-coast Maine in the future, I can recommend some fairly good photo sites in the Bristol--New Harbor--Pemaquid Point area...

18. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pick a few dates...invite us up and see what happens! Oh... try to have it sometime around the time of a wooden boat festival and I'll be there!

drew

19. cjlriverview

cjlriverview Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From soggy Central Maine

Welcome- I am new as of this morning and began a search of the N.E. region folks. ai love the coast but also the foothills of western Maine. What a great find APUG will be as I have just recently completed my darkroom and begun using medium format after many years of 35mm. The Capitol Area Camera club is primarily made up of digital users but there are still a few film devotees- not enough as far as I am concerned/ So, this will be a great relationship, I anticipate.

20. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to another Maine photog... ah, is it time to meet somewhere and shoot?

21. LizzBartlett

LizzBartlett Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am displaced Mainer now living here in the deep south (Massachusetts). One of my favorite spots on the coast is the Popham Beach area with wonderful Fort Popham all the way to Small Point.

IBBY!
    Lizz