Hello New England

Discussion in 'New England' started by Mark_S, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Greetings New England APUGGERS...

Although I registered with APUG quite a while ago, I have only recently started paying attention to it, and I figured that I would post an intro of myself here.

I have done photography, mostly B&W, since I was given a 35mm camera when I was 12 (36 years ago). Over the past 5 years most of what I have done has been LF, mostly landscapes. I would still grab a 35mm camera for times when I wanted to do a handheld shot. Last year, I got a very nice image of my son (who is a musician), and his violinist with the 35mm - great lighting, nice composition, sharp focus. I got so frustrated in the darkroom working with that tiny negative that I deceded to look for a larger format camera that I could use for handheld shots, and this spring ended up with a gently used Hasselblad, which I am slowly learning to operate.

After having been abandoned by Kodak (one of my favourite films was Plus-X Pan) I have shifted to shooting almost exclusively Ilford film now - mostly HP-5, some FP4+ and Pan F+. I develop mostly in HC-110 for LF, and use D-76 for 35mm, haven't settled on anything for MF yet, still experimenting.

I live in Maine, just north of Portland, and have a nice darkroom there. I spend most weekends in Mass - I have an apartment in Watertown where although I do not have a full darkroom, I have what is needed to process roll film. I spend the weekends with my daughter, who is in high school, and also does B&W photography.

I was a member of the Portland Camera Club, and remain in contact with many of their members, but the club was not serving my needs - too much focus on competition and digital for the direction that I was going. I am hoping to find this community more sympatico.

2. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark from Somerville.

Check out the Photographic Historical Society of New England's page: http://www.phsne.org/ - they have a photographica trade show in Watertown Oct. 29-29, great stuff. Dangerous!

3. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Mark from the Cape. I was just up in Portland...and if my wife went along with it..I'd move up in that direction...anywhere from Portland to Wiscasset would fit in nicely! I'm sure Suzanne has some plans in the works for us NEapugers to be involved in, so we'll see you there.

drew

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Mark!
    Glad you came to join us. Keep up on the local happenings, we're pretty active.

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Mark, welcome from Hawaii. A long way from New England, but we are all film shooters, although some of us shoot film that doesn't lose its colors. :D

6. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome from North Central Massachusetts....there are lots ot talented and generous people in this group...

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Mark from just east of the Birkshires, in the Pioneer Valley. Keep an eye on this regional forum. Look forward to meeting you sometime soon.

gene

8. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Mark! We have a great and active regional group, and hope to meet you at one of our upcoming get-togethers!

9. JustK

JustK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings from Connecticut! I look forward to meeting you at our regional gatherings, we always have a good time, and learn something too!!
    Cheers, Krystyna

10. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from south/central Mass!

11. Troy

Troy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Portland! I can almost see you from here.

12. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "the"??? What's with this "the" Cape?

Greetings from THE Cape ... Cape Ann.

After all, "Ann" does have more cachet than "Cod".

13. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How come, at various times, depending upon the tone of your text, I see one or two more "!"s after Carpe erratum!! Is it my imagination? :D

well, anyone from New York or Ct, or Vermont, or whererever, when they say I'm going to the cape, they are talking about the lower more easterly cape.

Granted Cape Ann is a great place and a great habitat for many species of birds and water fowl...not to mention the historic homes and communities, but we're getting the larger crowds and being destroyed faster than "Ann" So...there!

14. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. It is your imagination.

True. We tend not to talk about ourselves. Keeps us from getting large crowds and being destroyed.