Hello - Newbie here from South Carolina

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Digidurst, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi everyone! Ran across this site from Google searches and the article in B&W magazine and oh boy! am I ever glad to have found you guys.

I am a complete newbie to LF photography (a Horseman LE is responsible for my current addiction) and I'm also discovering alternative printing processes - I want to try all of it but will try to restrain myself ;-) I shoot digital too but you won't ever hear me try to tell another photographer that they should give up on film. Why do digital shooters do that anyway? Are they afraid of film?? Why not enjoy the best of both worlds is my philosophy!

So please indulge me as I have been known to ask some awfully dumb questions but figure somebody out there is probably wondering too so I go for it.

I would also like to thank the creator of this site and all of you posters; I have already learned so much just by reading previous threads.

Cheers,
    Ellen

2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Ellen, what part of SC? I basically grew up in SC..

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Ellen! :D

Are you the same Ellen as is on the LF Photography forum? Just curious. Welcome to APUG, LF and soon alt-processing. Love the avatar, btw.

4. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you :smile:
    Sean, I'm just south of Charlotte. Moved here with my family (Hubby took a job that required it) just a little over 2 years ago. I'm still learning about the area and scouting cool places to photograph. I love 'old and abandoned' so if you have any suggestions, please share.
    And yup, I'm same 'Ellen' as on the LF forum. It's amazing what a small world the net is, isn't it?

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Ellen from Hawaii!!! Glad you found us. I hope you shoot color, there needs to be more LF color shooters here :smile:.

6. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    South Carolina is great for old and abandoned structures. Just hop in your car and drive out into some country areas and you'll be bombarded with subject matter. Probably best to take a GPS device so you don't get too lost :smile:

7. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL - Man, you are preaching to the choir! I don't know how many times I've gone off on a jaunt and have wound up in places and just had no idea how I managed to get there. All in good fun though!

Just curious, what prompted your move to New Zealand? I've heard it's beautiful but I've never had the pleasure of a visit.

8. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    It's good to see another woman doing LF. :D

9. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Ellen, I am sure you'll enjoy the site.

As for NZ, I've been there only once, for a 3 week holiday and I could not believe how lush and georgeous it was, even in July (Mid winter). I live in Sydney, just across from Sean, and the difference is like chalk and cheese.

NZ = Green ,Lush, wet, BEWDIFUL..
    OZ = Brown (mostly), sparse, dry, dry, dry (you get the point). Bewdiful in a very different way...

Will surely go back for more holidays just to soak in the environment...

10. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am woman - hear me (& my Horseman) roar! tee hee hee

Glenn, I can relate with what you are dealing with. I grew up in the Texas panhandle and it was brown (mostly), sparse, dry, dry, dry... you get the picture! But oh! how I miss it sometimes... You could watch a storm blow in from Canada it was so flat. Mesquite bushes everywhere and when I was a girl, I used to walk for miles and miles, just for the fun of discovering new patterns in the dirt. :smile:

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    ROFLMAO! Good one, Ellen!

What alt-process are you interested in trying? Or are you just still trying to sort everything out and get the hang of things?

12. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Ellen...from Texas!! What part of the panhandle...there are quite a few of us here from Texas..nothing like a norther comin in from Canada..what sky's. BTW, since you are in SC, should drop down to Savannah..you will run out of film. :smile:

13. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You guys still getting weather from Canada? Hmm. Must not be covered under the free trade agreement. :D

14. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Polaroid transfers and emulsion lifts are first on my list. After that, I want to try cyanotypes, salt prints, and I would like to eventually work up to the ultimate - platinum. Up until I got my 4x5, I had no idea people were doing this stuff - I've been shooting digital for the last few years and have been emersed in learning the workflow. I love digital (for certain things) and will still utilize digital with my 4x5 negs by scanning but miss the hands-on feeling of film, make sense? Anyway, since I've been learning all that I can about LF photography, I've discovered so much I feel like a kid in a candy store! So, one thing at a time; this is a journey that I don't want to rush.

15. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I grew up in a little town called Dumas (yes, we called it 'Dumbass'). Every morning on the radio, they'd play the town theme song, "I'm a ding-dong dolly..."

16. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wanted to do some travelling so hit a few spots in the U.S., then got an IT contract in NZ for 6 months. After a few weeks in NZ I knew I had found the place I want to live my life so worked to get a permanent job and residency. Have been happy ever since, am now married to a wonderful kiwi and have a beautiful little girl too :smile:

17. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Sure, know Dumas well...always passing through there on the way to NM or CO..been in worse places...great sky's and these days lots of sunflower fields nearby.

18. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's awesome, Sean! Congratulations :smile:

19. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Ellen,

Just another welcome--from Illinois.

Konical

20. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

johnnywalker, thought it was just part of NAFTA :D

21. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome

Welcome Ellen from the state of Connecticut! Good to see more women picking up the LF bug. You'll have alot of fun here.
    Regards, Peter

22. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome Ellen, We spend at least a week a year in South Carolina. My father and his second family are there. So we've scampered around alot shooting the landscape and old buildings. Would not want to live there certian times of the year but love it there.
    Enjoy the site, Sean really put together a great place for like minds to hang out. With a great inventory of information already stored on alternative processes.