Hello there :) From Manchester

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by LeeHoggard, May 30, 2013.

1. LeeHoggard

LeeHoggard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself seen as I'm new here!

My name is Lee (As I'm sure you could have guessed from the username) and I am currently in/around Manchester, kind of. I'm studying at the Manchester School Of Art but I'm actually from East Yorkshire. I'm currently studying photography on a pretty fantastic course, it's all (just about) practical based with 80% of final grades being based on my portfolio(s). Some might say it's a waste of time but I'm pretty happy, get access to just about everything I could need (studio, darkroom, cameras, scanners, etc.) and I'm just continually making work!

http://leehoggard.co.uk

So, I have an artist website (Yes I would consider myself an artist, laughable to some I'm sure), it's in it's very early stages so I haven't really put anything up yet (I'm still testing the waters). If anyone wants to take a look you'll only get a very basic idea of what my work is about. I work using whatever medium I feel is right, the work up on my site is digital studio stuff but that's only one project because like I said I've only just set it up. Ideas and concepts that my work tends to focus on are generally technology related or hold some connection to the human condition. I show these ideas through photographing objects, all my work is still life based and that's just how I'm happiest working!

Analogue is my love, it frustrates me and I will screw up endless amounts of paper and film. I shoot analogue in my spare time, it always feels fresh and exciting. I find it challenging and that's what I find makes it so much more rewarding when I have shots I'm happy with. I have a 5x4 which I'll take out rarely, I've gravitated away from 35mm, I'm now currently happiest when I have my trusty Bronica S2a in hand.

And that's all I have to say about that.

:smile:

2. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome! One of my grandfathers was from Manchester but that was a very, very long time ago (I am now a grandfather). This is by far the best newsgroup for solid information (although my own knowledge is very modest). I can't seem to find your work on your website. The links do not appear to work.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Doc W, I had grandparentas & my mother from manchester as well, an interesting city these days.

Welcome to APUG

Ian

4. LeeHoggard

LeeHoggard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm I'm not sure as to why the links aren't working, they seem to work for me, this whole website business baffles me I'm positive I've more than likely set something up wrong, sorry about that!

I'm undecided on how I feel about Manchester, there's just something about it that seems to keep me at a distance. There's a lot of culture and art though and it definitely has it's charm. I'm enjoying being somewhere things are happening.

5. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome and good luck

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might be that the images are off the screen on some monitors and you have to scroll to the right, it makes it harder to navigate as it's not intuitive.

The links wrk on my laptop.

IAn

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

8. kb3lms

kb3lms Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG, Lee! I visited Manchester once. You will probably find anything you want to know from the great people here.

9. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like you are doing what I dream to do if I coming back as some fuutre spirit after this bodies life ends.

Happy you found us. From one mad film guy trapped in an engineering project manager's body.

10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Lee.

11. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Lee, enjoyed your site and liked the '60 Watt' image from your Innovation still lifes.
    I lived in Manchester from 2004 to 2011 - great city.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

13. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Lee!

Welcome to APUG!