Hello world ...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Dan Pelland, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Dan Pelland

Dan Pelland Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't compiled much code lately. Now I'd rather spend my time compiling light. I flew the big corporation coop in Chicago over a year ago and landed in Florida. As an early retiree, I decided I would make photography my new career. After all I had the gear, even took some college courses and I've made some decent landscapes. It wasn't hard to pursuade the local portrait shop to give me a try, but I humbly admit that photographing high school seniors is a skill that goes way beyond mere photography.

Then I discovered how many people were interested in traditional large format and contact print making. I worked for years in the same Chicago neighborhoods where Deardorff, the Burke and James company, Albert Flesch and other photo -business giants had made their names. I bought my first view camera (a B&J 5x7) from a used camera store above a Thai restaurant at 321 S. Wabash Av. I later learned that this was the location of the old B&J factory.

I now make contact printing frames in my one-man-shop. They sell regularly on eBay. I'm pleased with the return I get from my modest investment in tools and materials, but I'm most pleased with the encouragement I get from the folks who see my work.

I decided to join APUG to get ideas and feedback from the community most likely to have personal knowledge of exactly what makes a great print frame. I used commercial frames in my alt-photo class in college and I remember the basics, but I''d like to go beyond basic and make a product that is exceptional. I'll be looking for comments from anyone who makes contact prints.

I'm glad to be a new member and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks - Dan

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Dan,

Welcome from Illinois.

Konical

3. Carol

Carol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello and welcome Dan. There are many helpful and friendly people here.
    Carol-Down Under

4. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Dan from Texas, have seen your contact frames on ebay...nice work

5. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dan,

Welcome aboard. I just took a look at your frames on ebay - very, very nice!

I'm sending you a PM...

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Dan. Welcome from Hawaii!! This place grows on you, in the best of ways. Not just what you can learn about traditional photography, but the friendships you will make.

7. blackmelas

blackmelas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Dan,
    Welcome from Greece. Good to have you and hope to see your work in the Gallery.
    James

8. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from Glenn in Sydney, Australia.

Enjoy your time here!

9. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Dan!