Help choosing camera!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ThePenguin, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ThePenguin

ThePenguin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I need some advice regarding choosing equipment. I currently have a Pacemaker Speed Graphic with the Aero-Ektar 178/2.5 and it's a wonderful combination. But I rarely use it, I think it's to heavy to bulk around with.

I will use the camera for mostly landscapes and nature, but maybe also some architecture. And I got really interested in a panoramic camera (6x17) but I also like the 4x5 format. How is it to use a 6x17 adaptor on a 4x5 camera? Do you get good results comparing to a dedicated panoramic camera? I will use the camera on a tripod. Now I'm trying to figure out witch camera I should choose and what (lets say 3) lenses to get and I'm hoping YOU can help me :smile:

Thanks!

2. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I answered you somewhere :wink: :D

3. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

How much you wanna spend?

4. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In today's increasingly digital world film for panorama cameras will become harder to find. We have already seen this for 8x10. Just something else to ocnsider.

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Film for panoramic cameras is just ordinary 120 for the 617 and similar cameras and ordinary 35mm for the X-Pan.

And didn't Kodak recently offer Ektar 100 in 5x4 and 8x10 sizes?

Steve.

6. A Sabai

A Sabai Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you're not looking to spend much keep the speed graphic and get some new lenses a 6x17 back.

7. ThePenguin

ThePenguin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the advice! But if I'm going to use a 6x17 back, isn't it better to buy a 5x7 camera and buy a 6x17 and 4x5 back to that one? Won't I have trouble to focus to infinity?

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not make a mask for the 4x5 ground glass so you can view a panoramic format then print from those negs in the same fashion? Just an affordable idea.

10. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can have 6x12 out of 4x5 but not 6x17cm, for some like me i want to have panos as 6x17 or 6x24, 6x12 is not that much panoramic result to my opinion, maybe will try 4x12cm and see.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer my dedicated 6x17 camera, a major disadvantage of the extension backs is you can't use shorter focal length lenses and I now only use a 75mm on my Gaoersi 717.

As I've just finished restoring a British half plate camera I may make a 6x17 back for it, the advantage is the camera is lighter than all my 5x4's and it wouldn't need ant additional extension. I'll be tapping Steve's brains I think as he's nearly completed a 6x12 camera :D

Ian

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's complete enough to run a film through but I still need to get the shutter fixed. It works but one of the shutter blades fell out. I keep finding other things to spend my money on... like bills and food.

Steve.