Help! Contax G2 "lens" issue?! Camera unresponsive with lens mounted.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by pete_mod, Jun 24, 2014.

1. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I have a problem with my Contax G2 and 35-70mm lens (my only lens). The camera acts normal without the lens on, it autofocuses, the viewfinder display lights up and displays properly... etc. HOWEVER, when I mount my lens, it becomes unresponsive. It turns on, and the top left LCD display comes on, however that is it in terms of functionality. The shutter button is unresponsive, and the viewfinder display doesn't turn on. Sometimes I can get it to work by fiddling with the dials/lens, or removing the batteries for an extended period... however once I turn it off, it once again becomes unresponsive when turned back on.

I read a thread about a similar problem here, so I thought maybe someone can help shed some light. Like I said it works great without the lens mounted. It's a black G2 and lens, so hopefully it's repairable.

Right now I have the batteries out. I'll put them back in a few hours and hopefully it will work. I then plan to leave it on for an extended period of time and maybe that will 'fix' something...

I appreciate the help.

2. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give TOCAD an email, they'll do you right.

3. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the quick reply. That will be my next course of action. I'm just wondering if there is a DIY fix out there first.

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never heard of this with my G2 in over 10 years. Are the contacts on the lens and the body clean?

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have another G lens to try with it? You did not put your location in your profile so anyone who might live nearby with a G lens can't figure out if they live nearby to see if they can help

6. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contacts are mint on both the lens and body. I just manged to get it to work again by playing with the exposure compensation switch, I left it on... however it turned off automatically after a few minutes and now it is again inoperable (just with the lens on). Again, it works fine without the lens on...

I'm in Oshawa (Toronto area). I found a fellow G2 user about an hours drive away, however if there is anyone closer then that would be even better.

7. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The lens has to be in the 35mm position to mount on the body.

8. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I am mounting it in the 35mm position. I also tried this:

1. turned the camera on without the lens on (worked normally).
    2. mounted the lens while the camera was turned on. Viewfinder display stayed on, shutter speeds could be changed and were displayed properly. However, shutter button was inoperable (as was autofocus).
    3. took the lens off and the camera functioned normally again.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :sad:

9. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

MORE experimenting:

The camera works fine with the lens 'on' the body, but as soon as I rotate the barrel to lock it in place, it becomes unresponsive... It start becoming unresponsive after about halfway to 'full lock'...

I will update this thread as I track down and potentially fix the problem.

EDIT: When the contacts of the lens and body touch, that is when it becomes unresponsive. Locking it into place simply brought the contacts close enough to touch. I'm thinking its either: a) dirty contacts, although unlikely, I will get some decent contact cleaner tomorrow. b) a micro processor in the camera is crapping out. c) circuitry in the lens itself is crapping out (perhaps a cold solder joint). A & C I can fix, so hopefully its not B.

This situation makes me appreciate my all mechanical cameras just a little more...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  10. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something is wrong, send it to Tocad.

11. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try a good pencil eraser to clean the contacts before you go buying cleaning fluid.

12. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera was turned off overnight (with the batteries inside). Turned it on and it worked fine. Turned it off, and back on, and it again stopped working.

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the camera itself. Time to contact TOCAD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  13. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's the lens. Wish you could try to mount another.

14. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am going to meet a fellow G2 owner in the next day or two and try out his lenses... I will post what I find out.

15. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FIXED... (sort of)

I discovered that the camera will turn on fine (with the lens attached) when I slowly turn the power switch. If I turn it fast (regular speed) the camera will be inoperable, but when I try again immediately after by turning it slowly it works fine. After a few successful 'slow' power ups it will even work when I flick it on quickly.

I will use it this way until I can test it with another lens. At least it works! :smile:

16. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I met a fellow G2 owner about an hour ago. His 45mm and 90mm lenses worked on my body just fine, and my 35-70mm worked on his body just fine. However, my lens and body combo did not work fine. The only possible conclusion is that my contacts are dirty and causing the body to go haywire when the lens is mounted. I will clean the contacts and hopefully that should clear things up.

17. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sounds like the contacts are far from "mint." It is possible that you need to clean the backside of the contacts but that's just a guess.

With cameras that rely heavily on electronics, its sometimes just too difficult to diagnosis these types of issues.

The fact that other lenses work fine on your camera and your lens works fine on a different body makes it even more confusing.

18. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, my biggest fear was that it was a micro processor in the body on the fritz. The contacts look very clean to the naked eye, but I guess there could be microscopic oxidization preventing a good connection. There is also a possibility however that my body just doesn't 'like' the 35-70mm and there is a glitch when identifying the lens. My father owned an electronics repair shop, and once aged electronics start failing... that's pretty much it.

19. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe you have one of those rare G2 bodies with a silver sticker inside the film chamber. ;-)

20. pete_mod

pete_mod Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AHHHH...

Well it doesn't seem to be the contacts. I cleaned them with Deoxit and it is still acting up. Furthermore, now the shutter doesn't want to fire... it will focus and advance the film, but the shutter won't fire (it did so after I loaded a fresh roll of film, just prior to cleaning the contacts). And the shutter won't fire regardless of whether the lens is on or not.

Hopefully I can get this fixed for a reasonable price.

21. brendanmega

brendanmega Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With my G2, I cannot get the shutter to fire when I mount the 45mm lens unless I give the aperture ring a few good back and forth cycles before I mount it. I thought I had a problem with either the contacts or the lens itself, but this solved my problem. Perhaps try that? I also have had good experience with TOCAD recently for a shutter replacement.

22. Kiri

Kiri Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all :smile:
    I recentley purchased a mint G2 with a 45mm and today I went and bought a 28mm, which worked fine on the G1 from the person who I bought it off, but sadley doesnt seem to work on my G2.
    Same exact problem like you Pete... not fully locked in the G2 body it detects the lense, but focus and shutter dont work. Fully locked in the body, doesnt detect at all :sad:
    Was wondering if you found a solution to this problem. Would super appriciate your help!

23. Abutate

Abutate Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Any luck boys?