Help.. Dropped my OM2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Chris Nielsen, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, so I was sitting down and talking while loading film. Last time I do that. Fumbled my OM2N while the back was open and it dropped onto the carpet from about knee level. It wasn't a long way to fall but it seems to have bent the door somewhere, now it doesn't close properly without a slight push upwards.

Am I OK to gently bend it the other way or is that going to wreck it further? This is my main camera, the one I bought from John @ camtech, so it'd be a real shame if I break it further.

Thoughts?

2. mr rusty

mr rusty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My guess is a slight and careful bend back will probably cure. However, the door is removeable (to exchange for e.g. databacks) so if necessary just buy a beater and change the door. Its unlikely to be a damaged body.

3. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes... probably. But once you think you have it right load a roll of fast film and take the camera outside into bright mid-day sunlight. Hold the camera with the back to the sun at various angles. Don't take any photos but keep the lens cap on and advance the film a couple of frames. Process the film as usual and look for signs of light leaks.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could look up KEH and get a beater there.

Jeff

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a beater OM-1 body I'll sell for cheap. The thing still shoots good, but the MLU doesn't work and the self timer set lever is missing.

6. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. I didn't think about changing the door, I have a beater om1 here as well so I will try that and see how I get on.

7. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure if this will be a concern in your case, but the pressure plate is different in the OM-1.

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Replace the back of the camera. Use a camera strap, this is what they are for.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    From what I have seen, only the very early , non-MD, OM1's.

10. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. Yeah I didn't have a strap on it but I am not sure it would have made any difference in this case

11. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe your damage is worse than mine but...

Why don't you try to tweak the back into shape? I've done so very successfully twice... once with an Olympus OM-1 and once with a Nikon FM-2. What do you have to lose that isn't already "potentially" gone other than a roll or two of outdated test film? I've only warped two backs (from shear clumsiness) and both I easily repaired. All you need to do is "feel" how it opens/closes/latches... then test for light leaks. If it works then be diligent... "feel" how it opens/closes/latches for awhile... watch for leaks for awhile. Then... stop worrying so much.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

12. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if you need it I have a parts om2 body I can send you the back from.

13. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take off the door from the hinge first, and look for any indentations around the edges of the door. A slight bend should not be a problem, though may be a hassle opening and closing the door. You can try to bend it back, but do it by placing the bent part on a flat surface and lightly hammering it to straighten it on that surface. Bending the other way may make things worse.

14. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If anybody does have a beater, I'd like to swap a roll of film for the plastic timer lever.

15. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is most likely the small silver hinge sockets on the body are bent. Possibly putting a different back on will work or maybe latch will be misaligned in the same way. John.

16. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all + John for your help.