Help identify problems on the photos

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Rhodes, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry for the title, but could not remember how to do a better one explaning the problems.
    I am getting two or one vertical line in a few photos. It's better to see, here are 2 exemples:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here, at least I could not see the same "lines"

[​IMG]

This three photos are from the same film, kodak gold 200.

Also, I got a small magenta area in one photo, from a superia 100, but it is the second time this happens to me, the first one was in a superia 800. Now, the superia 100, is a old film, but the 800 was a new one. Here is, since it's better to see:

[​IMG]

What can cause both problems?

I develop color in my jobo cpe2 with lift tank, 2 films at a time. Rollei digibase kit. The third photo, or was form the films beeing old or I think the color dev was too hot, the negs come out with a lot of contrast and grain.

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You don't say what camera was used so any diagnosis is a guess. The veritical line may be caused by a sticking shutter curtain.

3. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...it's not straight enough to be a curtain issue. I would say it is a chemical run, but not being extremely familiar with colour, I can't pinpoint it for ya. I'll bet my next paycheck that PE can come on here and tell you in one sentence what it is.

Edit: the bottom one looks like a light leak or some kind of exposure issue. Once again, not extremely familiar with colour so I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

4. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    do you develop yourself?ive had a similar thing a few times when developing in a rotary processor.

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "I develop color in my jobo cpe2 with lift tank, 2 films at a time. Rollei digibase kit." Yes, I do develop!

I did not said anything about the camera because the camera is fine, since light leaks and something in the curtain would apper in every frame and in any film with the camera. B&w and the first color films with the same cameras (hanimex 35 and minolta x300s, If I recall), they were fine.

6. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those look like processing problems to me. Are you certain you are using enough chemistry?

7. LCEL

LCEL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The last picture shows some kind of light leak, the first and second pictures are showing some white spots in the sky, most evident there, caused by some error in processing.
    The long vertical lines, most visible in the first two pictures could be caused by peocessing error or by mechanical error.

Best regards.

8. alorino

alorino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Light leaks and sticking shutters do not necessarily happen in every frame in a malfunctioning camera. Sometimes a curtain may stick on some images and not others and light leaks come and go as well. I wouldn't rule out the camera until you've had it checked for light leaks.

9. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not convinced about light leaks and sticking shutters since I develop last tuesday a t-max 400 from one of the cameras and did not show any evidence of that. But since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, I will try both cameras in every shutter speed and see. Both frames with that problem were shot at low light.
    About processing, I use 250 ml of solution, the tank uses for one or two films, rotation, 240ml.

10. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is either a process problem or a pressure problem. Pressure causes dark lines in negatives which show up as light lines in positive prints or scans. A sticking roller or kinks in the film can do this.

In processing it can be uneven agitation, roller marks or well, a lot more problems. If you processed it yourself, this is often eliminated by using a 2% stop after the developer and before the bleach and/or using a prewet.

PE

11. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see, I use 5m prewet, could also see if the rollers of the lift are rolling free and fine. Thanks!

12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I meant rollers of a roller transport used in minilabs and some other home processing. I should have been clearer.

I'll bet you need a stop.

PE

13. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Eheheh, sorry, missunderstood! But why the nedd of a stop? I ask because, the first color films that I develop did not had this problem. The only change was adding the lift to the processor.
    Now, i remember that both the bleach and fixer were old, had 8 films throught it, but I extended the times, 8 to 10m each one since they were already reaching the capacity. The fixer was throwned and bleach could go for two more, but I am thinging opf doing a new batch!

14. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As bleach is used, the pH goes up and its ability to act as a stop goes down. Also, with bad agitation even fresh bleach is not spread evenly. Thus, development can continue for a short time leading to streaks where development is not stopped quickly enough.

PE

15. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see, thanks! The acid stop, I have acetid acid at 28%, what diluation should I make and how much time?

16. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use 1% or 2%, that is the range accepted in Kodak literature.

PE

17. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm