Help identify these subjects?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jun 22, 2010.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone help me identify what tribe these two gentlemen are from, and even better, can you verify that the one on the left with the clear face is in women's clothing? Is this a copy of a published image or is this a (relatively) unique original? All I know is that they are of the desert southwest, perhaps Arizona or New Mexico, or even northern Mexico/west Texas.

Attached Files:

2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I cannot identify the tribe but the one on the viewer's left is almost certainly a female.

3. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's one reason why I suspect they are both male - take a look at the hands. If that's a woman on the left, she's got some SERIOUS man-hands.

Upon doing the fine detail scan for the hands, I can tell this is a reproduction, and a fairly recent one at that - you can detect the offset printing dots.

Attached Files:

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I remember from viewing photos in the museums I visited in New Mexico, they look to be Apache, quite possibly Jicarilla tribe (northern NM), I dont think them to be Navajo.
    The one on the left is sitting in an effeminate position, subserviante to her partner. The hands dont mean anything, as the women did all the work in camp, including chopping wood for fires and cooking, and washing clothes at the river, etc.

5. kossi008

kossi008 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well, I think they're both women. I have noticed the hands, and would explain them away with hard work...

6. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting picture, Scott. And based on their body language, it looks like a man (on the right) and a woman on the left. Just look where their feet are. And both their hands have done a lot of work... strong hands, for sure.

7. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks like an Edward S. Curtis photo, although others did similar work. See:

http://googlemini.worldwisdom.com/s...tend&proxystylesheet=ww_new_frontend&site=WW2

As said above, women did hard work then. They didn't sit around and do their nails and watch TV. Growing up in farm country, I remember that many of the older women had similar hands. They could chop wood, pitch hay, and many other things that were necessary to be a true partner on the farm. Hands like that have their own beauty.

8. Bertil

Bertil Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Suzanne is completly right and has a nice point: "Just look where their feet are."
    /Bertil

9. If you're inclined to some further detective work, you can contact the following departments at the National Museum of the American Indian (part of the Smithsonian):

Archives | NMAIarchives@si.edu

Research | NIN@si.edu

Maybe a quicker response can be had from the Braun Research Library, part of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian within the Autry Center (Los Angeles):

rroom@theautry.org

Good luck.

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know little about these, but have sent an inquiry to a couple of people that might be able to help. The suggestion to contact the National Museum of the American Indian is good.

- Thomas

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have emailed the photo department at the NMAI with a scan of the image. Hopefully they will be able to get back to me with some information. In doing the detail scan I realized that it was a reproduction of the original print, so I feel a bit cheated. However, while the seller may have overpriced this one ($40), I more than made up for it with the other two images I bought, genuine CDVs from the 1860s and 1870s, one of them of a famous burlesque/vaudeville performer, Lydia Thompson.

12. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scott,

Any luck on this? My efforts contacting a museum has so far remained fruitless.

- Thomas

13. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a response from the NMAI image curators:

It really only took maybe a week or less to get a response from them.