Help identifying problem please!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by ajmiller, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can anyone please help identify the problem at the top third of this picture, especially noticeable at the top of the tree on the left hand side, sort of where the tree trunk goes lighter. I'm using my Mamiya c330s with a standard 80mm lens. It only happens on certain images, is noticeable on the negative and has happened with both lab processed and my own processing.
    Could it be flare, as it's only on certain photos and not others?
    Could it be a light leak?

Any help appreciated.

thanks

[​IMG]

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most likely flare. I think if it were a light leak it would be consistant on all exposures.

Rick

3. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agree with Rick. Looks like flare.

4. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the speedy replies.
    Weird how I've never had the problem before.
    Thanks again.

Tony

5. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Certainly flare. If you use a filter, better remove it. Otherwise there is not much you can do about it if you shoot against some bright light.

6. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a lens hood for the 80mm, but as I never had the problem before I've never used it. I'll start using it, see if it improves things. Thanks

7. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oddly enough, that looks like a kind of flare I've seen in scanning. It comes from all the surfaces in the light path not being really clean. A bit of humidity haze can do it, as can a thin and perfectly smooth coating of oil (like a finger print that's been smeared with a microfiber lens cleaning cloth). This can certainly come from filters (UV haze filter used to protect the lens, warming filters, etc.). And of course it can come from an under performing lens coating as well, and there are myriad other sources too numerous to mention. I'm just sayin' my bet is that something in the light path isn't perfectly clean.

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like flare to me too, it's a little odd that it is separated that much from the sun, which looks like it was pretty diffuse.
    It could be a reflection from something in the bellows or around the film gate. You might want to take a look in the camera to see if there is anything that doesn't belong.
    From what you've posted, it doesn't look like any density extends beyond the film gate, correct?

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. Check your filter! Does it need a cleaning?

10. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Could be condensation on the lens or filter too.

11. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    good point

12. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting! I don't use a filter on the lens and it isn't on every exposure so I'm wondering if it could be condensation. It has been cold when I've been out and about.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the kind of flare never seen with most modern Multi-coated lenses but it does seem to happen with some older coated lenses, I get it with my Yashicamat 124 sometimes (with a lens hood) and there's nothing you can do to prevent it as you're shooting straight at the bright sky.

It's just detectable in this shot.[​IMG]

I don't remember ever having an issue with my coated 80mm Sekor on my C33, check how clean the lens is, slight surfaces scratches/cleaning marks are enough to cause this too, or slight internal haze.

Ian

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Flare is certainly a possibility but I don't think a light leak can be ruled out yet.
    Pinholes in bellows can cause light leaks which don't affect film rebates, so can lens mount issues. Light leaks don't necessarily affect every frame either - bellows extension, hand position, direction of light, time the frame spends in the gate - all can be relevant.
    I've even seen ghost images caused by pinholes in bellows.
    It's easy enough to test for light leaks and this would be my next check if a thorough examination of the negs and a quick visual inspection of the camera & lens were inconclusive.

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]
    That's classic flare unclemack. The large area of very bright sky in the middle/top is the give away. Light leaks would affect a high proportion of the images.

I had a brand new Multi-coated Hoya 28mm lens, in the 70's, that flared like that despite it's claimed coating, it was very sharp but unusable if the sun wasn't directly behind, and even on a cloudy day flared if there was bright sky in the frame. The whole Hoya lens range disappeared because of these problems.

Ian

17. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    With a TLR you're probably using the built-in magnifier with the waist level viewer, right? With your face so close to the lenses your own breath could be the culprit. It's even possible to fog lenses with your warm hands as you adjust the shutter or aperture.

You didn't use your breath to blow off any dust specs, right? :D

FWIW, it doesn't look like ordinary lens flare nor pin hole leaks to me.

18. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Mike1234 - good points here (although I don't recall cleaning the lens with my breath :smile: )

I'm still a bit confused why it seems to have started happening recently although I have a feeling it may be a combination of things mentioned here.

Anyway thanks for all the replies and advice.

- Tony

19. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The colder and damper it gets the greater the chance for fog. Leave the camera out for five minutes and it gets cold. Put it inside your jacket to warm it up and steam from your body will collect on the cold camera... yet another source of fog caused by condensation.

20. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ian, I'm looking at the white line, top left vertical edge of the rebate. This appears to me to be reflected light from (possibly) the lower film roller and I can't think how flare from the lens can reach the roller at that intensity.
    Unless it's an artifact and not actually on the negative. The same may be true of the small vertical scratch I can see.
    I tried not to jump to conclusions but to arrive at a certain diagnosis before proceeding with repairs - but then I'm 10 years retired from camera repair and forgetting more every day.

21. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Occam's razor...

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point but that's 90 degrees to the rollers, however I was out shooting 2 days ago and came across a similar lighting condition for a short spell, and shooting into the light was impossible.

In the shot in question the shadows are soft yet the top centre of the image is heavily burnt out, but it's not like bright sunlight it's more a wall of light.

What I found while shooting on Thursday, a bright mostly sunny day was some slight cloud suddenly took the blue sky reading from from Zone VI to about zone XI/XII, that's before taking into account the actual lighting on the subject had dropped. I suddenly had that wall of light behind what I was photographing. When the cloud passed I could shoot again despite the bright direct sunlight only just being out of the frame.

It's harder to describe than the reality.

Ian

23. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ian, I understand what you're saying. But the OP's images don't appear to have a similar problem. It REALLY looks like a steamed lens to me.

24. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, believe me the OP's image shows the EXACT problem I'm describing and had to dodge out on the example I posted.

If the lens was steamed up then it's rather a coincidence it just happens to match the heavily overexposed area of sky :smile:

Ian

25. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not always right, Ian, but often am. We'll see... :D

26. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has this happend to other pics from that camera in different situations?