Help me find a compact 4x5 enlarger ? (Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jamespierce, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jamespierce

jamespierce Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi All,

Long time lurker now needs help...

I've got a small but very efficient contact printing darkroom setup in my house. I mostly use it to load and process sheet film (4x5 and 8x10) colour and black and white for my jobo. Plus I contact print up to 8x10. But I really want to be able to enlarger my 4x5 stuff.

I know an 8x10 enlarger is out of the question - I have access to a Durst CLS 2000 for that, but it's a long drive away.

I'd really like a Bessler or Omega table top unit (or a Durst would be fine). In my dreams I'd like an Ilford Multigrade head on it !

Anyway have leads or suggestions of where to find something without spending a huge sum ?

J.

2. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll keep my eyes peeled - for a while these kept popping up around work, but I haven't spotted one in a while... I wouldn't have ever used the word 'compact' to describe a 5x4" enlarger though - my AC1200 is a desktop model & I can't lift it on my own without dismantling it quite a bit...

Marc!

3. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A small 45 enlarger is like a Labrador that's not hungry.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An LPL might fit the bill. It has a vertical column, and you could mount it directly to a countertop, so that the width of the baseboard would not be an issue. They are a good bit shorter than units like the Durst 1200, and the head is relatively compact compared to most of the others.
    I have one in my darkroom which is around 2.5x4 meters.

5. paul ewins

paul ewins Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a spare Beseler 45 that might fit the bill. It actually has an Ilford 500 head on it, but that is being transferred to its replacement (an L1200) and the old condensor head is going back on it. There are a lot of lens boards and neg holders for it including the 35 and MF negatrans units and the 4x5 negaflat glassless holder. PM me if you are interested and I can arrange a time for you to come and have a look at it.

6. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There was a fellow who was selling an entire darkroom that filled up a whole garage a few weeks back, among other things he had a nice LPL 4550 setup which is just what you are looking for. I think the user was koons or something similar here or on LFF. he might still have it. those machines are worth every penny, and are some of the best enlargers ever made.

7. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will second that recommendation, the Beseler is a great machine, although a bit heavy. The condenser head is one of the best I have ever worked with (LPL, Durst etc).

8. raoul

raoul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any takers on the Beseler?

9. paul ewins

paul ewins Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Beseler has gone to a new home with James although there are 7 left over lensboards, 3x4" and 6x7cm neg holders and both negatrans units if anyone local is in the market for extra Beseler bits.

10. jamespierce

jamespierce Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes thanks indeed Paul. I will post a photo once I've got it fully setup and installed... it is a tight fit to say the least, but I think it will be quite workable for prints up to 16x20 say.

11. jamespierce

jamespierce Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    IMG_1741.jpg

Proof that nearly everyone has enough space to print 4x5 at home. I can project up to 16x20 on the baseboard - larger on the wall. Processing 8x10 in a Nova Slot processor for 4x5 and 8x10 contacts in the sink on the right - larger sheets in my jobo in the other room. Ilford Multigrade head is on it's way to finish the setup off.

12. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That actually IS quite compact!!

Bravo! There's a surprisingly large number of 5x4" printers (and shooters) in Melbourne, it seems...

Marc!

13. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be interested to compare result/contrast with you (and Paul) when you have the Ilford 500 up and going. Mine does seem to step up as I would of thought as you work through the grade settings.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I looking to get a 4x5" enlarger. Keen to get some advice on both the best to get and what is available. I teach photography at a school in Melbourne, mostly digital but we have a module on wet darkroom ( both 35mm and 6x6). Students (mature age) love it. The 4x5" is mainly my project for exhibition printing.

I've done some research but realise at i'm best off asking for advise from those who are users.

Quality is essential with ease of use a close second :smile:

Thank you for any assistance.

cheers,

Brett
    MELBOURNE

16. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I hate to give the big auction site more advertising, but there's a Beseler 45MCRX on there, located in Mt.Dandenong, with no bids on it, at the moment...

As for advice on the best 4x5" enlarger - well, after going through several of them, my fave is my current one, a DURST AC1200 (variant of the L1200) by a country mile - stable, easy to use, beautifully made, etc.

Marc!

17. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Marc

I'll do some investigating.

cheers Brett

18. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Devere 504 is pretty special to.

19. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Shane,

Yes the Devere 504 looks a likely candidate. I looked at the Beseler 45MCRX that is on ebay at the moment ( thanks to Marc for pointing it out ). I guess I can wait for the right one to present it self :smile:

cheers,
    Brett

20. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  21. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photoresource in Fitzroy have a few 4x5 enlargers, you may want to stop by there to have a look. Not saying their cheap.
    If you want I have a part Durst Ce1000, needs a light source and side crank handle. But its free.

22. konakoa

konakoa Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  23. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information. Amazing effort and result, well done.

24. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW thanks for the offer Shane, I really appreciate the offer. Not sure I can do the offer justice as I'm time deprive at the moment. My wife is keeping me to a plan of Shoot and print my own projects.....with little to no procrastination :smile:

25. photoimage

photoimage Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys,

looking at getting a more portable 4x5, our studio unit is a not so lite. A field camera looks like a better option for location work. I'm keen to get thoughts on the WISTA 45SP and what lens/s would suit portrait/fashion and landscape/cityscape ( equivalent to hasselblad lens 40mm, 80mm and 150mm ) if that makes sense....

Thanks,

Brett

26. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    75mm, 135/150mm and 300mm are the rough equivalents.