Help me get back into film photography!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Deus, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Deus

Deus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've tried to like digital for 3 years..but can't.

So I'm going back to film..

At the time I had a Nikon N/F60 and was quite pleased but remembered wanting nore at times.

The F80 looks good.
    But I'm a bit out of touch now..

Any suggestions? Open to everything as long as it's SLR, not digital and in the price range of the N80

2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll get few digital recommendations here, lol.

Get another N80. You already know the camera and they are quite reasonably priced on the 2nd hand market.

Welcome to APUG.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Andy. Although I shoot primarily LF, I have had an N80 for almost 5 years, it has been very reliable - I taken it to Jordan, Germany, UK, New Zealand, Australia and all over Hawaii.

4. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ask yourself 3 questions
    What did I like on the F60?
    What do I want that wasn't on the F60?
    What kind of photography are you planning? (urban landscape, nature, sport, macro, natural landscape, portraits, all of the above)
    Answers to these and it will help you (and us) get a better idea as to the ideal camera for your needs.

5. Deus

Deus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The first thing I loved about the F60 was the feel. It's bigger than some models like some Rebels and F65. It felt solid and felt good when I put it up to my face. (Odly enough, I kept trying the Rebel and it just felt funny to me..must be the grip or something that doesn't agree with my hands..)

I did like the extra features the F65. I find d-o-f preview interesting, would like a remote and because I'm still at a learning stage, would like exposure bracketing. Multiple exposure sounds an interesting toy. Artistic composition straight on the film.

Yup, that's the kind of stuff I'd like.
    :smile:

6. mark

mark Member

This day and age, if I was just going back to film, I would go for the 645 or 6x6 all manual camera. The costs are pretty cheap. DO you want to stay with the 35mm but want more bells and electronic whistles? If so the upper end Nikons are pretty cheap on the Used market as well. Good luck and welcome back.

7. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is true. I barely use my 35mm anymore. But I do keep my Oly XA around with me all the time. This year will be a decision year for me regarding keeping my Nikons and trading them in for LF.

8. Deus

Deus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One day, maybe.. but for now, until I truly understand the ins-and-outs, I prefer going for the "bells and whistles" which allow me to have fun with a learning curve that is not as steep.

9. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My vote goes for another Nikon.. N80 or N100 would be the best.

I think it's best if you got to a photo store and "feel" those cameras before buying any.

10. rduraoc

rduraoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I must suggest the Minolta Dynax 7. I know I've said in another thread (no, I'm not on comission from minolta), but it's a great camera, neck to neck with the F100, and it is dirt cheap as new now. I just got one now and I'm very pleased.

11. gchpaco

gchpaco Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used an N80 for a while; nothing wrong with the little guy unless you have manual lenses (like I have now) or plan to abuse it (as I inadvertently did, which is why I don't really have an N80 any more). Don't drop it in sand.

12. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another welcome to APUG and recommendation for the F80. Depending on your finances you can get a new F80 for around £249.00 or a mint F100 used for £479.00 (those are local prices here in Devon).

13. sp_maher

sp_maher Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Think hard about the necessity of autofocus and advanced flash in your shooting. If your practical shooting situations require autofocus and TTL flash, then by all means get another N80. If not, I would consider a used manual focus body and a couple of prime lenses. Perhaps you could add a cool little Olympus XA or Yashica Electro to the bag as well.

Regards,
    Sean