Help me Identify these two Things - Can you read German?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gkardmw, Jul 10, 2011.

1. gkardmw

gkardmw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

This weekend I obtained a Voigtlander Bergheil (6x4.5) and the two objects shown below (and some other stuff) - can you help me identify what they are? I have some guesses, but thought I would listen first.

BTW, here is a link to photo.net that shows the Bergheil (the "cute" size)

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Z1Le

Anyone that has experience with that camera, please contact me!

Dave
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://flic.kr/p/a2qQeT

2. OP
    gkardmw

gkardmw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Steven K

Steven K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I don't know any German but did some quick typing and threw the visible text at Google Translate.
    is what I read from the photo, Google rendered it as:
    It's a little jumbled (machine translations are never perfect) but I think it's enough to tell us it is an extinction meter. You're looking at the scene and comparing it to some kind of built-in step tablet to try and judge the correct exposure. And of course your eyes will be affected by ambient light, hence the warnings about bright surroundings.

hope that helps,

Steven

4. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The tube is an exposure meter. You have to guess which number you can read. Not of much use today.

5. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The wooden object look like it could be a contact printing frame, with glass missing and the backing plate missing. Looks like a metal spring plate to push the backing plate forward and compress the negative into solid register with the paper. Not sure if this is from the age of printing-out paper

6. OP
    gkardmw

gkardmw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dan,

I originally thought the same thing, but that squarish frame is just the bottom of it that sits on a table. After playing with it for awhile, it turns out to be a paper/film cutter. You put the paper along the paper along the ruler edge, letting the excess fall between the metal bars and push down on the wood. That half of it moves down and the metal edges cut it like a giant pair of scissors. The piece of springy metal pushes it open again. I hope the picture shows it well. I wonder how prevalent these where - it has no brand name or any other identification mark on it.

Attached Files:

7. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ja, ve haf vays of making you talk !!