help me with an idea of what to expect from my x-mas gift. Fuji Fortia

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by destroya, Dec 25, 2012.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a friend gave a gift of 2 5 roll un-opened pro packs of fuji fortia 35mm. he bought them new from a high end store in japan (dont know which one) this year in October. I have done as much research as i can, seeing that there is not much info available regarding this film. So i have a few questions

1) what do you think storage would be like at the camera store? I assume it would be pretty good. film has an exp date of 2006
    2) I know this is a way out overdone HDR type film which was developed for the cherry blossoms in japan. What type of subjects would be ideal? landscape? greens? reds?
    3) from what i read, the box in japanese says to shoot the film at ISO 64. has anyone any experience?
    4) should I just shut up, shoot one roll of various things, develop it and see for myself?

happy holidays to all!

john

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice gift; thoughtful friend! I don't know this film but when shooting old film (which is fairly frequent) I always start wiht box speed and treat it like it was new. It is quite surprising how well some films keep their qualities over the years. Like you, I'd assume that it was stored in at least halfway decent conditions. Maybe room temp since it was old stock in the store, but that might not matter.

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    +1

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd shoot a roll of different things, some landscapes, some people, etc. Shoot each picture twice: at box speed and at one stop overexposed. Many color negs work better with a bit of overexposure. Develop and see what speed gave the best look and what the overall qualities of the film were.

5. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You're in for a treat as it is saturated, extremely sharp and for all intents and purposes grainless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always used it as ASA64 and then I started shooting Velvia 50 at 64 too.

I'd say avoid people as it makes faces look really red, but Les has posted a really quite subdued Fortia shot with a person in it.

I liked to use the film in full sun with heavy shadows, I'd try to get deep blacks next to wildly vivid colours.

7. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pale skinned subject, flat lighting and some gaudy surrounding colors is perfect for these types of films!

8. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still have a 120 five pack in the fridge. I took this photo on Memorial Day, 2008 at Fort Rosecrans.

2534164755_92b70a7aae_o.jpg

9. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I shot Fortia at ASA 50 and had it developed so. It always came out nice.