HELP!!!! My darling just died

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bohica, Sep 19, 2005.

1. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Ricoh XR-P that I use a lot due to it's interval timer. It was working and I removed the batteries to check another camera and now after replacing the batteries, it won't work. Tried cleaning contacts,no joy. It's getting juice, meter, and backlight work but shutter won't trip in auto or manual. Any ideas?

2. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you try a fresh set of batteries? Something in the other camera may drained the originals.

3. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point john, the meter and backlight were working, but that may not be enough to trip the shutter, will get some at 1st opportunity, I have several in my fridge but they may also have deteriorated.....thanks, Tom

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Check to make sure that it is wound all the way. Also, set the multiple exposure lever and try it again. It could be a problem with the shutter release, so try the left shutter release and see if it trips the shutter. I have the same camera and have shot it continuously since I bought it in 1986, but I have never seen this exact problem so I can only make guesses.

- Randy

5. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried that w/o luck, think it may be just weak batteries, noticed with the backlight on that when i pressed the shutter release the light dimmed to just a faint flicker

6. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, in the "Doh!" deparment, you're certain you've got the batteries all in the correct directions? No, the meter and backlight (sort of) working suggests otherwise, but they may not require as much voltage as the heavy duty operating parts.

7. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Camera now working correctly, I was gonna remove the lens and as I started to turn it the shutter tripped, tightened lens again,no work, started to remove and shutter tripped again, switched lens and camera worked fine, went back to original lens and camera worked fine, I'm baffled. Could I have gotten the aperture pin misaligned when I put on this lens, come to think about it, I put this lens on after I removed the batteries.

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, I was just going to suggest that it is time to move up to LF. :D