HELP!!!! Need advice lense cleaning service

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by vollie, Nov 11, 2007.

1. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just discovered that the lense on my Nikon F100 has a matchhead sized spot of fungus in it. It is just on the underside of the outer glass. It is on the flat surface glass not the spherical glass . Could someone please advise me of a reputable lense service or shop I could send it to? The lense is nearly mint and I am desparate to take care of this.
    Thanks.
    vollie

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know where you are from, but Cameras Etc in Newark Delaware has a camera guy in Maine they send their repairs out to. MOst camera shops, not film retailers, have a go to guy. Check out your local camera shop and see what they offer.

3. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in Tennessee. Does the shop you mentioned have a website? How can I contact them?

4. mitica100

mitica100 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm confused when you say the fungus is on the inside of the outer flat glass. The outer lens piece should be curved. Are you certain you're not referring to a UV or similar filter attached to the lens? That would be flat and you can easily unscrew it and clean it yourself.

BTW: there is no such word as "lense". Lens is the singular; lenses is the plural.

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Uh, actually there is. It isn't used as much these days, but it means the same thing.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    George:

I have owned at least one lens that had a front element with a flat surface. IIRC my original 28mm lens for my Olympus OM1 was constructed that way.

Matt

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matt,

Could be, I guess. But the guy is shooting with a F-100. So, I "pulled" a couple of my Nikkors off the shelf to look at them before posting - and none of them had flat front elements.

What kind of "light gathering" would be achieved from a flat front element?

My thinking is that there is a filter on the front. Could be wrong - but....

9. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    JB,

You may well be correct but could you please provide a dictionary source for the word: lense ?

I have noted that this mis-spelling is common in parts of the U.S. - especially the Southeast and Texas - but I've yet to find any responsible reference text to concur that such a spelling is correct.

10. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  11. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I just unloaded a 28mm Nikkor lens and thought it had a flat front surface, under the UV filter I put on it. Might that be a front-located field flattener, usually seen at the back, analogous to reversed Tessar formulae - just designed differently?

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course this would come up when I'm here in Tucson and the 28 is back in NYC.

But I keep grabbing Nikkor and 3rd party Nikon-compatible lenses I have here (quite a few) and still cannot find one with a flat front element.

Now, here in Tucson I have for my aging D-100 a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED.

I pulled off the filter and the front element "looks" like it's flat by a quick "eyeball" - but I ran a cloth across it - and it's curved, as one would expect.

Now, this is a digi lens but I did once mistakenly use it on my F-100. So I know it will vignette all the pics. Thus, it's unlikely that the OP is using this kind of lens on his F-100.

Might make more sense to this discussion if the OP would tell us what the lens is on his F-100?

13. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So maybe it isn't flat. I am not an expert, that is why I am asking you...the experts. If I had put my glasses on I would have seen it wasn't flat. It is the first group of glass on the front end of the lense. It is a Nikon AF Nikkor - 28-105 1:3.5 - 4.5D.

As for the fellow worried about the speliing of lense/lens, I harbour no ill feelings towards him...my dad likes to argue with people about unimportant things too.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "You may well be correct but could you please provide a dictionary source for the word: lense[?"

Oxford English Dictionary (a history of the English language). A subscription is available online at http://www.oed.com/. This is an older version of the word "lens" but is still in common usage.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good! Now I do not have to explain some of my typos!

Steve

17. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    fellow word nerds

As an English teacher I am amused and pleased with the etymological discussion of the word lense/lens. It shows there are intelligent people...peopling this board. Intelligent discussion is out of style now...just like film cameras. So, fellow nerds, any advice on the lense cleaning issue? It is not really a big fungal spot but I don't think or feel good about trying to dismantle the front of the lense myself. It is not on a polarizer or other filter, it is in the front element.
    Thanks

18. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe someone could instruct me how to get the front element of the lense out and I can clean it with some denatured alcohol.

19. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes!

And as any NY Times crossword puzzle nut will tell you dictionary usage of "variant" or "Var." in a clue is a nice way of saying "misspelling". :wink:

20. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    vollie,

If you're certain it's inside the front element - I would not advise trying to open up the lens. Others here, with experience doing such, might try it - but the only time I "opened" a lens was by mistake because I'd screwed the darn filter on so tight that when I tried to unscrew it I opened up the front element!

Before you send it out for cleaning - you might try exposing the lens to direct sunlight for a few hours. This may kill off the fungus - especially since it sound like it has not advanced too far.

The problem is that even if this works, Tennessee is a humid climate and it's likely the fungus will return after awhile.

So, unless you want to open it up yourself, beyond the "sunlight" trick all I could recommend is sending it off for a professional cleaning.

21. vollie

vollie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, yes the UV will kill the fungus but I am still left with the residual mold.
    I am looking for a specific recommended lense servicing center. Should i send it to Nikon?

Variant doesn't necessarily mean misspelling does it? It means...variant...another way.

22. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What's a "NY times"? :wink:

23. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just go to your local Starbucks. :tongue:

24. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Good luck with your lens/lense.

I ain't smart enough to be no word nerd and when you talk about peopling this here forum I get all confused. Now when Caliban wanted to people that island place I thought that meant he wanted to get jiggy with Prospero's daughter. That's the only place I seen that thing word used like a do something word before.

25. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I dint laya finger on that damned Miranda!

26. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm not really all that up on small format lenses, but I think it might be a bad idea to take apart a zoomer, without knowing for sure how it is put together. Spacing and all that. On the other hand, somebody who really knows is bound to pop by soon.