Help Needed for TMax 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by okanumit, Jan 6, 2010.

1. okanumit

okanumit Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I made a stupid mistake and accidentally underexposed a roll of TMax 400 by 5 stops. Is there a way to save the film. I have not developed it yet . Any suggestions about how to develop it ?? Developing time etc??
    what kind of result should I expect? Thank you.

2. okanumit

okanumit Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I forgot to mention that I have TMAX developer..but if you any other suggestion, please let me know.

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How can you underexpose by 5 stops--did you shoot everything at shutter speed 1000 or 2000 that should have been at 30 or 60, or maybe f/16 for everything that should have been f/2.8? Explain how you did this,please.

Rick

Edit: Did you use a hand held meter and set it at 12,800? None of my cameras will go past 6400asa, only my Sekonic L-398 is capable of that setting, and you can really tell if it is there just by a quick glance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some developers are better than others for pushing, but 5 stops, as noted by Rick is pretty extreme. So, you may as well use it as a learning experience to see how far you can take the materials and chemistry you are already working with.
    Kodak's data sheet has suggested times for various speeds. A snip test will be your best route. Cut off a portion of the film, extrapolate heavily from Kodak's fastest recommendation and see what happens. Adjust from that time as necessary and process the rest of the roll.

As to what to expect, a lot of grain, and very contrasty images.

5. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think I would just put it in a dilute developer overnight.

6. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What BetterSense said. Try D-76 1:3 and leave it for 8-10 hours or so, no movement, no agitation. Just let it sit. Stop, fix and wash as normal.

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice for a chemical experiment or artistic exploration, but give up hope to make quality images from it. It's a goner. A 5-stop overexposure, on the other hand, and you could still make high-quality images, but B&W negative film is very sensitive to underexposure.

8. okanumit

okanumit Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    how did i make this mistake? i just did not meter beforehand. my camera is a diana + . shutter speed is fixed ....1/60 ..the camera was on cloudy mode which is equivalent to f/11. after i shot a roll of tmax 400 indoors ,in my baby's room with ambient light, i measured the light with my lightmeter and noticed that my exposure was under 5 stops....

9. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For something with a fixed shutter speed, you might want a more forgiving film in the future. Tmax was initially shunned, and not used in schools, because people felt traditional film like tri-x was more forgiving of exposure.

I'd probably push process it in tmax developer, the print the weak negatives at a higher contrast grade if needed.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no latitude towards underexposure, only acceptable loss of shadow detail.

11. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What ever you do don't use D76 it's poor for push processing, you have the best developer TMax Dev, try the Kodak time in the link Bill's posted

Ian